Bee Hive Ventilator - who has one or uses them? I'm considering building one to try
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bee Hive Ventilator - who has one or uses them? I'm considering building one to try

Okay so I came across this today because I am concerned with the delay with capping honey from one hive. We have two hives and we have extracted 69 lbs from one hive and the second hive is full but only partially capped. The Asters and Goldenrod are just starting to bloom, and I'd like to harvest in October, and let them fill back up what they can before winter

http://www.beecoolventilators.com/need.htm.

our temps are now going up, strange summer, so I like the idea of these to help the bees
    3H Apiary - Youtube Channel :
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiJWeyUX6PXKfNqOEAGTrhA[/URL]

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee Hive Ventilator - who has one or uses them? I'm considering building one to

Nope.

Default Re: Bee Hive Ventilator - who has one or uses them? I'm considering building one to

It's definitely a non essential gadget & that small fan & solar panel are not worth $120.00

I gotta bridge I can sell you go with that ventilator......... "a non-essential gadget."
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Wast of money. I wonder if the magnetic field produced in the fan would mess with the bees.

I read an artical where researchers put a magnet in a frame and the bees built crazy wonky comb in the vicinity of the magnetic field, they lost sense of direction up down, left right.

They really cost $120? I built one using scrap wood and two fans ($1 each on Ebay, from China). If I add together wood, paint, screen, screws, fans, and wire, the ventilator cost me perhaps $3.

I only put it together for use during extremely hot days in the summer; so far it hasn't been turned on. I've already got a few solar panels so that was never a problem.

In my way of thinking, adding a fan will just interfere with the ventilations the bees themselves do within the hive.

Bees will not cap cells that are not full. If you add a fan and the cells are not full then the bees still will not cap it. Your best remedy is to get a nectar flow going on.

Bee Hive Ventilator
    Right along with the
    side spigot honey dispenser attachment
    These spigots Will hook up to any size honey box in seconds and pour your favorite flavor
    BUT wait !!! there is more !!
    if you buy Now we will give you to GINZU gourmet dinner knives
    All this for a one time payment of a dollar 3 eighty
    Last edited by tommyt; 08-27-2013 at 08:46 PM.

This will help. One on top of each hive.

Last edited by Jared.Downs; 08-27-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: bad link

amazing to me that bees have survived this long without our help....

How about a top entrance? Would that help?

In all seriousness though.

It makes sense that if ventilation were better that the bees wouldn't have to spend as much time fanning the nectar and could spend that time doing other bee things.

But..... if this company had any research to back up their claims, then maybe I wouldn't mock it.

What's the reasoning behind the location of the fan?
    What's the reasoning behind the size of the fan used?
    How much air is this fan meant to circulate?
    How much air needs to be circulated in a beehive?
    Where are the facts that build any credibility for this company / product?

Those questions are not meant to be directed at any one here. Just questions I ask myself when looking at product and website like the one the OP linked to.

To the OP, how about a screened top board or some sort of home made "box" that you add on to the top of the hive that allows air to escape. Let the bees do what they want. Give them another hole for air to go in or out of if it's of concern to you.
    Last edited by Jared.Downs; 08-27-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: clarity

on or hives we already have the top propped to give a top entrance along with a screen bottom board. I may go with a screen to board, but I agree that the gizmo is too expensive for$120. I'll have to do more research to see what magnetic fields do on bees.

Here is the link to the ventilated inner covers that I made. I think that they worked well. http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/wp-c...ason_inner.pdf

It makes sense that if ventilation were better that the bees wouldn't have to spend as much time fanning the nectar and could spend that time doing other bee things.

My guess would be that the bees are a heck of a lot better at knowing what the temp, humidity, air flow direction etc etc should be in a hive then a fan.

My understanding is that the bees ventilate for a number of different reasons and simply turning on a fan could actually be deleterious I would suspect.

While if the fan was on under perfect conditions and offering the perfect air flow I could see it actually "Freeing up bees", but if the fan is on at the wrong time or causing improper flow then I can see the bees actually fighting the fan and taking up additional workers.

~Matt

Some of the claims of the product seems like a bit of a stretch to me. That said, we have a botanical garden here that started keeping bees some years ago. They used solr ventilators. I am not sure if it is the same kind but they have had great honey harvests since they started keeping bees, even the first year and attribute it to the ventilators. Below is a link to an article talking about it.

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture...ncrease-yields

Quote Originally Posted by MJuric View Post

My guess would be that the bees are a heck of a lot better at knowing what the temp, humidity, air flow direction etc etc should be in a hive then a fan.

My understanding is that the bees ventilate for a number of different reasons and simply turning on a fan could actually be deleterious I would suspect.

While if the fan was on under perfect conditions and offering the perfect air flow I could see it actually "Freeing up bees", but if the fan is on at the wrong time or causing improper flow then I can see the bees actually fighting the fan and taking up additional workers.

~Matt
    I don't disagree with what your saying.

In terms of evaporating water, increasing air flow with help lower the humidity levels inside the hive and increase evaporation. But like you've mentioned that the bees ventilate for a number of different reasons; I'd rather just give them a bottom and top opening for the chimney effect.

Quote Originally Posted by scallawa View Post
    Some of the claims of the product seems like a bit of a stretch to me. That said, we have a botanical garden here that started keeping bees some years ago. They used solr ventilators. I am not sure if it is the same kind but they have had great honey harvests since they started keeping bees, even the first year and attribute it to the ventilators. Below is a link to an article talking about it.
    It looks like the exact same product.

Matt - you bring up a valid point.

I'm going to look into screen inner covers so that it helps with cooling the hive. Last night they were bearding from the top and the bottom, and the sides were covered by a single layer of bees.

I have some tops I made; much like Sheddiver, but they have a coated fabric with cedar shavings on top, like a warre quilt.
    Great (passive) ventilation, but only in summer, and with a SBB, probably too much.
    I'm not using them this year, for that reason.

The ad says that the fan moves 25 - 35 cfm.
    Consider the volume of a deep; that has to be around 10 air exchanges per minute.
    It might work good for drying honey, but I'll bet your bees will have difficulty maintaining cluster temperature, and you'll lose your hive.
    I'm pretty new to this, but one thing I've found is that the bees do what they do for a reason.
    My bet is that if they wanted a breeze, they would build so that they have a breeze.
    You won't get more honey by "helping" them with this gizmo.

If you need ventilation, you should buy or build something like this for the top of the hive under the top:

Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast