How I plan on overwintering 40 mating nucs on mini frames - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Default Re: How I plan on overwintering 40 mating nucs on mini frames

Wonderful thread! if I may, add just a tiny tid bit. I use the little sheet metal clip to install 2 or 4 half frames into the full frame box. It requires a full frame on each side to support the center clip but works very well in both 5 frame nucs and full size hives. I have also used medium half frames in full length boxes and the bees just build the comb on down to full length. When I go back to medium, I just cut the bottom comb off and they are once more medium length. The clips are easy to make with a pair of pliers and a bit of thin sheet metal.

I hope this thread does not die. It has been very helpful for me except for the "mind expanding pain" associated with learning something new and valuable. Thanx LP

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

mes miniplus que j ai fabriqué miniplus.jpg

where are you getting your smaller frames? or are you making them. never mind I just read all the post
    Last edited by dennis crutchfield; 09-10-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis crutchfield View Post
    where are you getting your smaller frames? or are you making them. never mind I just read all the post
    OUii je les fait mes petits cadres je vous mettrais une photo des que je peux

Quote Originally Posted by sauve View Post
    OUii je les fait mes petits cadres je vous mettrais une photo des que je peux
    Je voudrais voir une photo de vos mini-cadres.
    Merci
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by emrude View Post
    Je voudrais voir une photo de vos mini-cadres.
    Merci
    Marie
    cadreminipluss.jpg

cadreminiplus.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Avez-vous épinglez les deux cadres ensemble, ou ils verrouiller-vous à l'autre? Je suis un an à partir d'hivernage mini-nucléus. Faire et obtenir petits cadres étirés serait un grand départ pour l'automne prochain.
    Merci beaucoup,
    Marie

Avez-vous épinglez les deux cadres ensemble, ou ils verrouiller-vous à l'autre? Je suis un an à partir d'hivernage mini-nucléus. Faire et obtenir petits cadres étirés serait un grand départ pour l'automne prochain.
    Merci beaucoup,
    Marie
    je les epingles quand je demare les miniplus pour les faire batir dans une ruche normale je met une hausse 2/3 65/8 et quand la reine a pondu je met avec les bee dans les miniplus

voila comment je vais hiverner mes miniplus ici au Quebec

hivernage miniplus.JPG

Cela ressemble beaucoup. J'espère que vos MINIPLUS font bien cet hiver.
    Marie

Cela ressemble beaucoup. J'espère que vos MINIPLUS font bien cet hiver.
    Marie
    Je vous donnerais des nouvelles au printemps prochain

does beesource have a translator function that can be turned on so the conversation can be read in English?

good point clyde. i thought forum protocol was that english be used, but when i checked that rule only applies to the signature line?

quoting steve martin, a wild and crazy guy: "it's like those french have a different word for everything"
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

Well you all read my mind. I wish I could translate French. I think that's what they're speaking.

Its not your just imagination, squarepeg.

Barry posted this in an earlier thread in the Welcome forum ...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No, just Slovenian is not allowed.
    In this forum I'm not too strict, but in all the other forums, English is required.

For those who may not be aware, clicking the blue double arrow in any quote box links to the original thread where the quote was posted, and there the full context of the quote can be seen.

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I am sorry. I did not read the fine print. I will use only english from now on.
    I am planning to start queen rearing in a very small way. I am trying to learn about what kind and sizes of equipment I will be needing. I like the design of sauve's mini frames. They would be harder to make but when they lock together they could be put in hive body without clips.
    I do not live as far north as the many of you who are keeping bees in mini-nucs--I am further north than Oklahoma. I have not talked to any local beekeepers who have been able to keep the bees in these smaller hive spaces. Some have trouble with Queen Castles.
    I am in awe of what is being done. I should be able to do this in my area. I plan on making frames this winter so I can get comb built up next summer.
    Thanks to everyone who have shared their knowledge.
    Mary
    Still learning about bees, and forum rules.

I am sorry. I did not read the fine print. I will use only english from now on.
    I am planning to start queen rearing in a very small way. I am trying to learn about what kind and sizes of equipment I will be needing. I like the design of sauve's mini frames. They would be harder to make but when they lock together they could be put in hive body without clips.
    I do not live as far north as the many of you who are keeping bees in mini-nucs--I am further north than Oklahoma. I have not talked to any local beekeepers who have been able to keep the bees in these smaller hive spaces. Some have trouble with Queen Castles.
    I am in awe of what is being done. I should be able to do this in my area. I plan on making frames this winter so I can get comb built up next summer.
    Thanks to everyone who have shared their knowledge.
    Mary
    Still learning about bees, and forum rules.
    bonjour avec un modele pas difficile a faire les cadres

cadrons.jpg

Hello Mary, this thread is a couple years old. I have overwintered the mating nucs a few different ways since I started this thread and will post some updates this winter when I have more time.

Not only for overwintering the queens, but having the mini frames in good shape the next season is particularly important so you can get the earliest start with queen rearing the next year.
    Good shape means filled with both brood and honey, not too many with empty drawn comb. For instance, if you super them with standard frames in fall so you can use interior frame feeders. That is great until you get into them in spring and find they have moved up to the standard frames and abandoned the mini frames below. This will give you a good nuc in spring on standard frames, but will do nothing for you in the queen rearing dept. the next season.
    Placing those empty drawn mini frames in spring on large hives to get refilled works well, but you sacrifice a month to get it done. Keeping them on the mini frames all winter is what I'll be writing about.

I'll also tell you what I do with all those overwintered queens, how they perform and what the market is locally for them.

P3240542.jpg

And then the importance of trying to overwinter the right kind of bees. I have had great luck overwintering Carniolan crosses in the mini nucs, but Pol-Line strain was not good, many in mini nucs starved out overwinter. The comparison of the two was striking in the difference.

Pol-Lines-March photo
    P1220325.jpg

Carniolan crosses-March photo
    P2090047.jpg

This is how I want them early-mid April:

P4210237.jpg
    Last edited by Lauri; 09-12-2016 at 05:50 AM.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    does beesource have a translator function that can be turned on so the conversation can be read in English?
    Use Chrome for your browser, right click on page and click "translate to English".

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    Hello Mary, this thread is a couple years old. I have overwintered the mating nucs a few different ways since I started this thread and will post some updates this winter when I have more time.
    I'll be interested in reading what you have to say on that subject. I have my first experiment in this are running for this winter, it's a standard deep box divided with half size frames, 10 on each side. I have one colony on each side right now. I have a follower (splitter) for each side so in the spring when I start cells, I can move the splitter board and turn it into a 4 way with 5 half size frames in each quadrant.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast