Too Early for Goldenrod?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Too Early for Goldenrod?

Several of my hives have a strong peculiar odor and I've been wondering if it's goldenrod. The smell is not a bad smell, like something is dead or rotten, just a strange odor.

They say when goldenrod nectar is curing it smells like gym socks, and I suppose the odor I am encountering in and around my hives could be described as something like this (I'm only in my second year of beekeeping, so I don't know for sure).

But I'm wondering if it's too early for goldenrod (I'm in SW Ohio). It has been a relatively cool and wet summer, so goldenrod could be appearing a bit earlier than usual - although I haven't actually seen any around where I live.

Has anyone else in this part of the country detected the goldenrod smell coming from their hives yet?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Too Early for Goldenrod?

My goldenrod is just starting to bloom some is yellow and some is still green , how long has yours been out .Bees aren't working it here yet .

Hi Laketrout,

I haven't actually seen any goldenrod around where I live, which makes me dubious as to whether what I'm smelling is indeed curing goldenrod honey.

But if it's not goldenrod, what is causing this smell? As I mentioned, it's not a horribly bad smell - like something is dead or rotting. It's just a peculiar smell that's hard to describe.

I've got a number of new hives as of this spring that I've been feeding sugar syrup. These don't have the smell. It's the established hives that do. I haven't been feeding the established hives, and they've got some supers that have been on since early in the summer. I think it's those supers that are the source of the smell.

Does curing sugar syrup have a strange smell to it? If goldenrod is not the source, what other things (besides bad stuff like AFB) can cause strange smells?

No sugar has almost no smell.... depending on where you are in Ohio, you definitely can have some goldenrod coming in. We have it here in Central IL, and bees are draggin it in. we pulled pollen traps last Friday because of it.
    It seems golden rod is a temp sensitive plant, not a daylight sensitive... this really cool weather we are having has triggered it. Low cool shaded spots are blooming.

What is the color of the pollen they are bringing back? A golden colored pollen is a strong clue that goldenrod is blooming and being gathered.

We have some blooming in central Ct. It has been for a few weeks already, in pockets. It's starting to pick up more so from what I've seen around me. My Hives have had that smell about them for about 3 weeks now.
    They are also working the Joe Pye weed, but I don't think that has a distinctive smell?!

Goldenrod has been rocking in Central Va. for a week or two.

My goldenrod started blooming when we got cool weather 2 weeks ago. The bees are still looking robbery minded, but they are bringing in pollen
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

GR is just starting to turn yellow in the ditch banks. Should be in full bloom next week. Time to harvest this weekend

Foragers started finding it last Saturday on the EasternShore of Va. Steady incoming of pollen.
    Ed
    Winslow, Me.

My bees are just west of Columbus. It looks like some of the goldenrod jumped the gun, but the most part it is all still a couple weeks away. Although some of the aster is starting to bloom.

I think you have done a good job of explaining what you are smelling. I have always questioned whether the smell of goldenrod is like dirty socks. I would say like you said that it could be described as wet socks but really it is hard to describe because it's a smell all of its own. Can you smell it if you are downwind from the hives? Even when the hive is closed? I have never heard of any other source of smelly honey other than golden rod. People say the smell goes away after the honey matures. I'm not sure that I agree with this. I try to leave the golden rod honey in the hives for winter stores. In the spring sometimes I can still smell the golden rod smell in the hives. I'm sure it is matured by then?

I left my last year's goldenrod honey in until about March when I stole it and it was good honey.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

GR has been out for a couple of weeks here in north Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by rmdurkin View Post
    Several of my hives have a strong peculiar odor and I've been wondering if it's goldenrod.
    When in doubt...look inside. Probably goldenrod but it can't hurt to give 'em a peek.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

hey beemandan im in forsyth and my first yr with 2 hives.....any goldenrod in athens??

I am 30mi SW of Buffalo, NY and the goldenrod is just starting to bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by smarrbeeman View Post
    ....any goldenrod in athens??
    Once in the past ten years there was enough that you could smell it in the beeyard....and even at that it was pretty inconsequential. Having said that....this season has bee unusual in so many ways that I think anything is possible.
    None blooming at the moment.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    we pulled pollen traps last Friday because of it.
    Are you pulling pollen traps because you don't want goldenrod pollen?

Quote Originally Posted by giant pumpkin peep View Post
    My bees are just west of Columbus. It looks like some of the goldenrod jumped the gun, but the most part it is all still a couple weeks away. Although some of the aster is starting to bloom.

Ditto here. I have seen a few fields of the shorter variety but the tall stuff is definitely a few weeks out. Hopefully the fall flow is better then the summer!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast