Honey prices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honey prices

Default Honey prices

The last few years I have been selling our honey for $8 per pound. No problem with sales. We only have a few hives in production right now so I only anticipate an inventory of about 130 - 150 lbs. Someone told me today he thought my price was too high. I looked on the internet and prices seem to be all over the place (as usual) but I did notice the prices are running a bit lower. Can anyone give me some good feedback as to what a good fair price would be per pound?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey prices

If you sell all the honey you have, a fair price is probably higher than what you are selling it for. Once you are not able to sell all your honey, that is when your prices are higher than what people think your product is worth.

If you only have 150lbs a year I would raise the price to $10 a pound. I bet you would still sell it all within a few months. I think most local honey here is selling any where from $5-10 per pound retail so your prices are fair if you ask me.

Here in North GA I've seen it from $6-10

beecuz...Someone told you? One some-one? Remember the old adage 'you can't please 'em all'. Don't let one person make you question yourself. If your demographics supports $8/lb, then keep it there. I don't think your price is unreasonable in the least. I have seen it as high as $16 for a 16oz (liquid measure) jar down here at a popular plant nursery, though admittedly, that is on the high end. (and they sell the crap out of it!)

I tell people who complain about the price, sure you can buy cheap honey, but you can't buy MINE.

Don't sell youself short. If your not having many issue sgetting 8 bucks sell it at 8 bucks. Some people won't pay it, but their loss.

Ask them, "Would you really eat cheap honey?"
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

I sell a 1 lb muth jar for $10 with no problem

I get around 15 a pound for mine, yes they complain, but I am the only one selling honey right now.

We are also a small producer (under 200 lbs a year. We sell the little bears for $5. per bear and have waiting lists for this year. Maybe we should charge more. You probably have some one comparing your product to the junk they sell in the wally world. The stuff is super filtered and you really have no idea where it came from or if its really honey. If someone complains about the price ignore them you will sell out no problem

We are at $10 per #. We sell everything before the next spring harvest.
    Dan

I sell 1 lb muth jars for $15. I sell pint jars that hold 1lb 6 oz for $8. I never have trouble selling. Even when I am at a market and the two containers are next to each other the muth jars sale out. The people are taken by the "unique" container. However my usual price is $8 for a pint jar. I have checked prices in my state and I know that I am on the low end of the price scale.

I ask $5 lb from co-workers and anywhere or anyone I don't have to do a stand.

If I do a stand it's $10 for 23 oz mason jar, $5.50 for 12 oz plastic jars.

I'm having trouble finding places to sell. Farmers markets in my area are not taking new honey vendors. I do well at work but I increases hives in spring as I was doing very well roadside stands. First time out with spring honey, got warning ticket, county is stopping all roadside selling. Now I have all these hives and still have 150 lbs of spring honey that is selling slowly. I'm not certified to sell to health food stores.

How are you Florida folks selling yours?
    I do love having all these bees though.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Bevy - I am in Madison County in the area near both the Jefferson County and Taylor County lines. For the past two years I have just sold word of mouth...my pickup truck has a sign on it identifying my "honey bee farm" and I get some inquiries for honey due to that. Mostly, though, it started with my co-workers and acquaintances, and now that I am retired I keep picking up new customers just through conversations. I plan to open a booth at a farmers market in Taylor County if I have any honey left to sell...but so far I sell out quickly. Right now I just wish I had more product. Once I have more hives, I may face a challenge in selling it all...but what a great situation to be in! : )

beecuz

When people tell me that my prices are too high I tell them they can have a jar for free. The catch is I'll put the jar into the middle of one my hives and they have to buy their own hive tool, bee suit, and smoker to get it. Then I ask do you want to pay my asking price or spend $150 on the equipment to get the free jar? It kind of opens their eyes to what expenses beekeepers incur to produce honey, and actually has seemed to work most of the time.

Thanks beecuz. And I wouldn't lower your prices if I were you. It's alot tougher to raise them once they get used to a certain price.

gsc, that is a great comeback. Most people have no idea what goes into one pound of honey, for both beekeeper and the bees. Ok if I use your line?
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Bevy's, help yourself to that line. It is my favorite.

Price according to what the market will bare. Some of our bee club members told me I would never sell any honey at $8 a pound last year. I sold every last drop. This year all the doubters are selling theirs at 8 and some were selling at 10 for a quart last year. What did i do this year? I put it in our restaurant at 11 and its sold great.

Market and demand is very important. I sell a top quality product from local untreated hives. I sell out no problem, no complaints

1lb Wax Coated Muth -$10
    12 oz Hex Jar w/ Dipper - $10
    12 oz Squeeze Bear - $7
    8 oz Plastic - $5
    2oz Mini-bear - $2
    1.5oz Hex -$2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast