First Inspection

Default First Inspection

This is my first hive ever. It was an unintentional start. However here I am very excited about whats inside. I was going to West Palm today to get supplies. Glad I called first. I read the site wrong they only have bees and honey. I did a quick search and spoke to a lovely lady Gloria. I got directions and 60 miles later I arrived. She was incredible helpful and with everything right in front of me it just made sense. I would post a link to their web site but i dont know if you allow that.

I did film everything and will post all the good and stupid things I did. Normally i would edit them out but I'm sure I will learn faster with critique.

First thing I noticed about the hive was that it was infested with little beetles. I killed as many as I could. Total I probably saw 20-30 on the top and when I pulled the top bars out. I did not see a queen although i saw capped brood cells.
    Lessons I learned.
    1. wear glasses, yeah i look dumb in them but i can see the queen better.
    2. put the hood on off camera or learn to do it fast. the first time was a lot slow and i didn't even look at it first.
    3. build a better fire. the smoke goes out because i didn't use enough kindle.
    4. hive tool. You need one and keep it in your pocket
    5. less smoke. watching the video it seemed like i used to much.
    6. Dont make the parts fit so tight. I have no room for a beatle trap
    7. start earlier before wife comes home.
    Videos to come

Gene

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: First Inspection

help me understand this, you just bought a hive of bees? and they already have small hive beetles? is that correct or am I misunderstanding this?

Once you get accustomed to your bees you will learn when to smoke, and how much.

If I remember correctly, he set out a nuc box sized hive and a swarm took up residence tem Bears. I might be wrong but I think thats the deal. G

TenBears, sp. sorry

Yes that's the deal. Videos coming soon.

Gene

Gene did you build your box to the standard plan you showed us on your other thread?

You will probably need to give them more room soon. Either by adding boxes on top or moving them into a standard eight or 10 frame box.

At the minimum go to the library and get a book!!!!!!

I built it exactly except the top bars I used 3/4 thick and they touch the lid. I think the plans probably called for 1/2". Looking back that would make more sense. Actually now that I'm thinking of it I could of done a 1/4 notch and dropped it down. I did see a need for a gap at the time. I will build a new box sat.
    I'll transfer these and place it on a solid base. I can do this. I need a new box so I can put in beatle control

Gene

Gene you can stack a box the same size as the lower box on top. To put this in perspective it would be a double high nuc. This would give you time enough to find out whether you want to go with eight frame or 10 frame Langstroth hives. This is the type of hive that seems to be prevalent around the world. The advantage to this is you can move the parts into a generic hive body that other beekeepers will have identical parts too. So you can take five frames from the bottom and five frames from the top and move that into a 10 frame deep brood box. There are lots and lots and lots of other formations that you and your bees can do! This is just one idea from one new beekeeper to another.

Keep having fun and keep those videos rolling! Thanks Don

I'm going to build a brood box today and then I will move everything into it. In the long run I think that will be best. I went back and looked at the plans and noticed no top bar. I guess i did that on my own. anyway that would explain the mistake of building it to touch the top
    Here are the videos.

Just me trying to get my hood on. action starts at 2:30 if your impatient like me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gIzvKuTqWk

Smoker trouble
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u730V...ature=youtu.be

This the final one after im finally oraganize. The tile saw doesn't last long. Funny i was concentrating on the bees and never heard it. It stops at 2 minutes in if you want to bypass it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9TRm...ature=youtu.be

You should hit the hive with Powdered sugar, also known as confectioners' sugar, to kill those beetles. When I start my smoker, I give it hard squeezes to get the thing going and keep doing that off and on during each hive inspection so it will keep burning.
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Gene if you're handy with woodworking build a 3/8 inch spacer to set under your lid. This is assuming that there is enough space (3/8inch) between the bars so that the bees can patrol and clean the space above the bars. You also might want to lower and stabilize your hive stand. I have found the height you're working at to be a little too high for my comfort.

This link https://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/ has oodles of plans. You could modify an inner cover to give you the 3/8 inch bee space you need for the top. I have found a telescoping top to be a lot handier for me.

You can use a little bit of smoke to drive the bees down so you don't crush them when you put the top on. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a sack of wood stove pellets and a cup and a half last for hours in my smoker. One of the things nobody told me about was the tar from the smoker will cause the lid to stick. Using a hive tool and the bellows has a lever was the only way I could opening it without damaging it! Also a wine cork has a plug speedups smothering the smoker when you're done.

Keep up the good work and have fun!

Gene, I revisited the build it yourself site. Go to the 10 frame Langstroth hive plan and the top two pieces are what I was talking about modifying to fit your hive. A telescoping top and under it is an inner cover, which is a frame with a piece of quarter inch Masonite or plywood dado-ed into the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by nobull56 View Post
    Gene, I revisited the build it yourself site. Go to the 10 frame Langstroth hive plan and the top two pieces are what I was talking about modifying to fit your hive. A telescoping top and under it is an inner cover, which is a frame with a piece of quarter inch Masonite or plywood dado-ed into the inside.
    I understand. I will look a that. as luck would have it i didn't get any free time today being my wife's birthday weekend. I not sure what dusting with confectioners sugar means except literally. I dont see why that would kill beetles. Wouldn't it also attract other bugs.

gene

I googled dusting and see the concept. I still don't see why it would work. The problem with my box is the bottom is fixed and i can't remove it. i assume that might be important in keeping it clean. the video i watched the powdered sugar drove them to the bottom into a container of oil. Building a box will be fun. I have plenty of scrap wood around. The nuc is out of scrap plywood. I recently threw away a bunch of painted 3/4 plywood because it didn't think i would use it. To bad.

gene

I pick up cut offs at the lumberyard for pennies on the dollar. The only downside is I have to take them all sometimes it's a pretty big pickup load!

My bee master has me use the powdered sugar for mites not Beatles. For Beatles we use little squares of plastic cardboard (salvaged from political campaign signs). So far I haven't seen any difference between Republican signs and Democrat signs. But then I live in California.

If you read these threads you'll see there's a big argument between solid bottoms and screen bottoms.

Quote Originally Posted by nobull56 View Post
    I pick up cut offs at the lumberyard for pennies on the dollar. The only downside is I have to take them all sometimes it's a pretty big pickup load!

My bee master has me use the powdered sugar for mites not Beatles. For Beatles we use little squares of plastic cardboard (salvaged from political campaign signs). So far I haven't seen any difference between Republican signs and Democrat signs. But then I live in California.

If you read these threads you'll see there's a big argument between solid bottoms and screen bottoms.
    I would like to be able to remove the bottom so i can clean it. I'll read about the different types but i would think a little ventilation here during the summer would be beneficial .

gene

Yes I made that decision also. I bought one screen bottom board that had a plastic shelf that you could pull out and coat with oil to trap the mites and beetles (also to count the little buggers). It was around $50 bucks, so I made one with quarter-inch plywood sliding shelf (less than $10) both sliding shelves are sitting with my extra bee gear.