Transport Requirments

Default Transport Requirments

Ive went and got my cdl A , have my medical card, Ive read 391 where apiares are exempt certain requirements. I know everyone talks about it but has it been narrowed down or has anyone found out, am I required to keep a log book, get dot #, ifta sticker? I am moving my own bees in a 1 ton GMC diesel dually pulling a 22500 GVW gooseneck. I wont be overweight, but i just want to make sure i have eveything i need for the trip. I have the triangles and fire extinguisher, i'm just not sure what else I need for the trip from New York to Georgia. If anyone has the answer it would be appreciated.

scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Transport Requirments

The short answer is yes you need ifta, logbook and dot#. You have the right CDL since even though you are in a 1 ton you are pulling a trailer registered over 10,000# which requires a Class A.

Scokat, what part of GA are you comming to?

not sure yet, near the florida line, still looking for another yard to use.

Craigslist is a wonderful tool for finding bee yards. Post in Florida farm&garden in a city you prefer and offer honey in exchange for wintering land. 5 gal bucket is often more than enough for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetrucker74 View Post
    The short answer is yes you need ifta, logbook and dot#. You have the right CDL since even though you are in a 1 ton you are pulling a trailer registered over 10,000# which requires a Class A.
    DOT Number yes. IFTA sticker NO. He called it a GMC 1 ton but didn't specify the GVWR of the truck.

When you sign your Vehicle Resistration you are attesting to the knowledge of requirements, didn't they cover this in your training classes?

I got stopped by NYS DOT this past Spring on Rt 81 because of a loose chain on my skidsteer. The Officer asked my for my Log Book. I pointed to the sign on the door of my truck and refered him to the equipment I was hauling and said "I believe I am exempt because I am a Beekeeper." He spent about a half an hour confirming that. He never asked about my IFTA sticker, which I don't have. No Ticket. I adjusted the chain, no problem. I drive an F-450 Superduty Deisel Truck w/ GVWR of 16000lbs and pull a trailer w/ a registered GVWR of 9900lbs.

No Medical Card Required either.
    Mark Berninghausen

If you are intrastate you don't need ifta or medical card and with your set up Sqkcrk you don't need a CDL either way, your trailer is registered for less than 10,000 and your truck is less than 26,000. But as soon as you cross state lines you are no longer exempt from medical card, Ifta or log books. Most of our guys have a CDL even for in the state just to save the hassle of traffic stops.