Does a capped queen cell mean that laying workers have been suppressed?

Default Does a capped queen cell mean that laying workers have been suppressed?

I have a laying worker hive. I came back from a road trip in late June. When I checked this hive then, I found a few scattered patches of capped worker brood. A week or so later, there was nothing but capped drone brood scattered here and there, and I found multiple eggs in new comb.

I began giving this hive a frame of eggs and open brood from a strong hive once a week. I was just out in the yard installing a BeeWeaver queen in my latest split, and decided to take a quick look at the laying worker hive. On the last frame of eggs and brood I added last week, I found a big beautiful capped queen cell.

Can I assume that the laying workers have been suppressed? If I were to order a queen, would the hive be likely to accept her now? If I do order a queen, should I cut the queen cell, or should I put it in a mating nuc? I'm starting to run out of room in my backyard, but I hate to see such a pretty cell go to waste.

The reason I'm thinking about ordering a queen is that aside from the BeeWeaver nuc, my other hives are all from the same local nuc, and I assume it would be good to diversify my stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Does a capped queen cell mean that laying workers have been suppressed?

If it were me, I would let the cell hatch. I'm sure there are lots of drones in the area other than yours.