Laying worker ?

Thread: Laying worker ?

Default Laying worker ?

HI all , i have searched the forums for info on laying workers and did not find the answers i need (maybe there I just did not find them) so here goes

I have 4 colonies all were started from nucs in middle of May,

hive 1 did not see queen no q cells fair amount of bees lots of drone cells and appears to be making more of them

hive 2 did not see queen 6 q cells with larvae some capped fair amount of bees and larvae no drone cells
    (should I let them raise another queen or requeen them )

hive 3 did not see queen no q cells great brood pattern on 3 or 4 frames some drone cells( queen right ?)

hive 4 did not see queen no q cells no brood , no eggs no larvae

I am sure I need to requeen hive 4 ,
    hive 1 i think is queen right,
    I think hive 3 has a laying worker

should I combine lw hive with queen right or can I order a queen and put in hive ?

since all are new colonies I do not have a lot of brood frames to swap between hives but will do whatever I can to get all colonies going good.

I could not actually see any eggs so I do not know if suspected lw is correct or not
    any advise is greatly appreciated

Larry

should
    Insect farming is soooo interesting :)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Laying worker ?

hive 3 did not see queen no q cells great brood pattern on 3 or 4 frames some drone cells( queen right ?)
    I think hive 3 has a laying worker
    How did you come to this conclusion? Are you seeing 4 or more eggs in cells? Lots of drone brood?

I wouldn't combine anything just yet. Take a frame that has a lot of eggs in it from another hive. Put it in hive 3. This will do two things: 1. It will help to suppress your laying worker if you have one. 2. It will let you know if you have a queen or not (if you have no queen, they will begin to draw out queen cells).

It can take doing this once a week for three weeks to finally suppress your laying worker (again, if you have one). So, if they have not drawn cells within a few days and you still have reason to believe they're queenless, put in another frame of eggs seven days after you put in the first one. If you see queen cells or begin to see signs of a queen, leave them alone.
    Try it. What could happen?

Did you mean to say that you thought hive#1 had a laying worker?

I would take 4 of the 6 queen cells that you have in hive 2, and place 2 of them in hive 1 and 2 cells in hive 4, and give them 3 or 4 days. If they except the cells let them go ahead and raise a queen. If they tear down the cells then you have to determine if it is a laying worker or you have a queen. The hives that except the cells I would leave alone and let them requeen by hatching the cells.

Yes mtnmama. I meant hive 1 , thanks for catching that
    Insect farming is soooo interesting :)

I agree with Bill, use the Q.cells that you've got (assuming they're not just empty cups?)
    Laying workers are aggravating - good luck to ya

A queen can lay far more eggs than a small hive can raise. Stealing an occasional frame of eggs and very young larvae and swapping it for drawn comb (especially empty comb the queen can lay in) is very little investment on the part of the bees. I would put a frame of eggs in the ones with the laying workers every week for three weeks. It will be worth it if they are convenient (like in your backyard or on your way to work...)
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Michael thank you for your reply I will try that and I do appreciate all of the help and information I have received from everyone
    thank you