Paw prints on my hive

Default Paw prints on my hive

I had noticed the grass in front of my hive mashed down on several occasions, but, silly me, didn't pay much attention. A few days ago I noticed some mud on one side of my hive. After a closer inspection, I could make out some tiny little muddy paw prints. After a little research I discovered that skunks love to scratch on the hive and dine on bees as they emerge. Bad thing about it, this time of year in the deep South, my bees hang out on the outside of the hive until pretty late at night.

I unrolled some 1/2 inch X 1 inch hardware cloth. It was a small roll, so the natural bend ended up making it fit perfectly in a horse shoe shape around the front of my hive from ground level to about 3 feet tall. With that staked down and in place, I set a medium cage trap about 10 feet away.

First night, I caught a possum; second night, nothing, but bait was gone; third night; added a small cage trap about 20 feet away; there was Pepe' Le Pew waiting for me the next morning.

I have been removing the exclusion every morning and replacing it every night, just in case there are more. If I go out of town for a day or two, would it hurt to leave the wire in place?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Paw prints on my hive

it'll be no problem, the bees will be able to get through it with no problem and it won't block their ability to ventilate the hive.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

If you caught one the rest of the clan is still around. I have been fighting them for 8 years. Finally had enough and built hive stands this winter. 12 inches off the ground. looking forward to less work this year and less bending.

Great idea. Mine is on cinder blocks, just the perfect height for them to prop their front feet on and smack away.

14 inches off the ground is the minimum for skunks. 12 will help but they can still reach the porch well enough to harass the bees and grab a few. a piece of plywood with nails driven through it or carpet strips glued to it and placed in front of the hive make a handy deterrent. a live trap with cat food as bait seems to work well. and is a double bonus as you save your bees and you have the makings of some great barbecue.

Man, I don't think I want to sample any skunk barbecue.