Can't find my queen

Default Can't find my queen

Ok, i have never had luck finding my queen, now that i am trying to split a hive i want to use her in the split, any thoughts on finding her?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Can't find my queen

Split the hive with a QE.........after 3 days the box with eggs in it is the one that has the queen.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I actually have a queen excluder but still can't find it, am i not looking in the right place or is it that hard?

It can be a challenge, even if she is marked. Be sure to look extra hard on frames that have fresh eggs in them. Sometimes she can hide in the corners of frames. This makes it tough.

Also, you can practice spotting the queen with some pictures if you like.

Here's a good one:

http://www.northernbredbees.com/Gall...8/P1010043.JPG

A google search will turn up plenty more.
    Try it. What could happen?

If you have carefully gone through every frame, checked the inside walls of the box, it's not a huge hive, and you still can't find the queen...it just might be because...there is no queen.

I thought I'd killed off, or had my queens mysteriously die. Turns out they swarmed.
    Zone 8a at 4300ft. Langstroth- foundationless. 6 Hives. AHB region.

New beeks & old beeks often have the same challenge with finding queens. The more you practice looking the better your scan will improve. Use very light smoke. Sometimes I will use a spray bottle of light sugar syrup or liquid smoke (the bee stuff not the cooking stuff) across the top bars to calm them a little. Seems like if you need to find them they are more difficult to find but if your just doing your routine inspection she will just show up. I often wonder if our anxiety may affect that & we don't realize it. I have had to go through a hive several times even with an extra pair of experienced eyes before finding a queen.

> I actually have a queen excluder but still can't find it [the queen]

You don't have to actually find the queen to do a split. You can do a walkaway split as long as you have eggs/larva in both halves of the split. The half that does not have the queen will rasie a new queen.

If you want to use a purchased queen for the new split, SNL's advice is good. Put a queen excluder between the brood boxes and wait a few days to see which box has new eggs. Then you know which box the queen is in and can proceed with the split.

More here:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Put on reading glasses under your veil. Take time to look on the frame. After a quick sweep of the bees on the frame, I don't look in any one place. Just try to observe the entire frame and you'll see her eventually walking out-out of the corner of your eye. It's not just her larger size that you will see. She moves differently then the other bees and drags her backside along. Very young queens will still be runny like the virgins. Attempts to avoid predators I assume.
    She can be easy to miss if she has her abdomen in a cell laying when you are looking. She can also be covered with other bees. Just take some time when looking and give her a chance to walk out.
    IF she is still there-
    Even when I have a marked queen heading the hive, I still look for an unmarked queen. They can pop up and surprise you...many times both being in the same hive.
    Even if you find a new queen, don't stop looking for the other queen. The more you know what's going on in the hive the better. Keep notes for each hive.

It took me till my 3rd year for beekeeping to start finding queens. I look for eggs most times now and as soon as i find eggs i'm out off the hive . But if i need to find the queen i can find her every time now once you find her it gets easyer every time.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Get yourself an observation hive. You will learn more about bees -faster - than you ever will in box hives. And you can practice finding the queen every day.
    Charlie
    zone 5 820 ft 12 hives

I had trouble at first couldn't find a queen in a mating nuc with 3 frames lol finally gave up looking for her and just started looking for eggs and what do you know I have found her in the last two hives I checked and wasn't even trying