Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive beetle

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Honey man 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am a new beek and I just transfered my 4 nucs to hives today. I could only find queen on one but others appear to be storing honey and saw what I think is capped brood in others. in one of the boxes I saw 4 or 5 small hive beetles tried to catch the little buggers but they are fast
my question is what is best method to hopefully elliminate these pest I already have screened bottom boards installed.
is it ok to use diatomaceous earth in the hive on top of frames to get rid of them or use some type of trap with oil in it?
thanks in advance for your help

#2 ·
On this topic, ask 10 people you'll get 15 different answers. A strong hive is the best defense. They will keep the SHB segregated from most of the hive. A screened bottom board with oil tray type trap is what some prefer. You can sprinkle DE on the ground around the hive, but I wouldn't put it where the bees can get into it, because it will kill the bees, too. There are between-the-frame type traps available, too. Google and youtube shb traps and see what all there is. I don't know if one is better than the other. I have my hives in full sun, as SHB don't like light.

It's going to be an ongoing battle, just like mites, so study up and get ready.

Good luck! :)

#3 ·
Thanks for the info I have my hives in full sun also so maybe that will help
the nuc that had the beetles in it is not a real strong one at this point
should I put traps in all the hives to as Barney would say " nip it in the bud" :)

#4 ·
Agree with Slow Modem

Some people absolutely have a freak-out with just a couple of beetles. I think it's all what you're used to. Here in the South, SHB just come with the territory but there are certainly some proactive things you can do with simple hive location to help. Personally, I have found that STRONG HIVE IN FULL SUN (at least 3/4 of day) atop very dry and BARE ground is the best formula. Excess hive space is a killer recipe for SHB overrun. Last year I had a 5 frame nuc on the edge of the apiary along the treeline. It was very strong, but every time I lifted the lid I had at least 20 beetles on it.

Yes, the beetles were under control and segregated to a single corner of a single frame inside the hive, but there were just too many. Did the whole Beetle Blaster (frame traps) and what not, but the SHB persisted. I set up a new rack that was high, dry and in full sun. The bees would beard in afternoon. In less than 10 days, the next inspection I had under 20 beetles TOTAL. Within a month, I encountered consistently UNDER A DOZEN during the total inspection. Lastly, do know that if the hive is strong the beetles are corralled into a "beetle jail", but when inspection time comes the manipulations within the hive "spring" the beetles from their jail. The SHB can also trick the bees into feeding them...crafty devils. Do with it what you want, but for me it's all about proper hive location. BTW; Interesting vid on SHB:

#5 ·
Thanks NCB
I appreciate the info I do have them on bare ground in full sun now, not sure exactly where they were before i purchased them. My concern was that the colony is not real strong yet. just want to help bees all I can
and thanks for the video

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.