Honey casing for tobacco

Default Honey casing for tobacco

Not your average recipe request here...
    I've tried a few times to flavor 'natural' tobacco with honey, it has a lot of potential in my opinion BUT it's hygroscopic nature is a negative characteristic.
    A few goofy questions if you don't mind....
    -Will natural honey reach an equilibrium and stabilize it's affinity for moisture?
    -Is there a temperature threshold that will damage honey?
    -What variety of honey tends to have a lower ph? (this is based on my understanding that honey is acidic on the ph scale)

Odd questions perhaps but they are sincere. Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey casing for tobacco

Hello, just come across your thread. I've been growing baccy for 3 years now and I've used honey in some of my sauces. My best advice would be to get it a proper dryness after casing and then storing it in a ziploc bag. honey has it's own yeasts and will still ferment if the moisture is high enough but this can lead to mold. the fermenting can have a nice effect on the flavour especially if your going for a pipe blend but the mold if it happens is not so good.

a preventive measure to mold is to add 3g of potassium sorbate to your casing but thats not always a sure thing with honey casings. I've had more baccy mold that was treated with honey than not.

honey can be a good humicant too in keeping it moist and it comes down to how much is used and I've found that with honey, less is better. I would suggest maybe 20g honey in 1/2 liter hot water srayed over a kilo of baccy then let dry.

If your a fan of tobacco, you can also check out the fair trade tobacco forums where I keep my grow blogs. http://fairtradetobacco.com/ good luck.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC