Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Honey casing for tobacco

24K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  chillardbee 
#1 ·
Not your average recipe request here...
I've tried a few times to flavor 'natural' tobacco with honey, it has a lot of potential in my opinion BUT it's hygroscopic nature is a negative characteristic.
A few goofy questions if you don't mind....
-Will natural honey reach an equilibrium and stabilize it's affinity for moisture?
-Is there a temperature threshold that will damage honey?
-What variety of honey tends to have a lower ph? (this is based on my understanding that honey is acidic on the ph scale)

Odd questions perhaps but they are sincere. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Hello, just come across your thread. I've been growing baccy for 3 years now and I've used honey in some of my sauces. My best advice would be to get it a proper dryness after casing and then storing it in a ziploc bag. honey has it's own yeasts and will still ferment if the moisture is high enough but this can lead to mold. the fermenting can have a nice effect on the flavour especially if your going for a pipe blend but the mold if it happens is not so good.

a preventive measure to mold is to add 3g of potassium sorbate to your casing but thats not always a sure thing with honey casings. I've had more baccy mold that was treated with honey than not.

honey can be a good humicant too in keeping it moist and it comes down to how much is used and I've found that with honey, less is better. I would suggest maybe 20g honey in 1/2 liter hot water srayed over a kilo of baccy then let dry.

If your a fan of tobacco, you can also check out the fair trade tobacco forums where I keep my grow blogs. http://fairtradetobacco.com/ good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.