Queen die off

Thread: Queen die off

Default Queen die off

I hived 2 packages (Beeweavers) on the 30th of March. They did great, filling 2 frames of drawn comb with brood, until about 10 days ago, when the hives became queenless (not sure about one, but there's no open brood it in). There were a few supercedure cells.

I had another hive from a cutout that produced an emergency queen on the 8th, who I last saw on the 21st. Can't find her now, and no evidence of eggs/larvae. Don't think she mated.

I took one of the supercedure cells that looked about 10-12+ days old and stuck it in the cutout hive, hoping for a queen on the 23rd. Today cell is opened, but no queen (although she might be another virgin that I just didn't spot- she would have hatched in the last 24 hours or so).

We have plenty of drones. However it has been VERY windy (average 20-40 mph winds with frequent dust storms) for the last few weeks. So, maybe thats why the virgin didnt mate? But what about the packages? Seems strange that they would do so well for 2 weeks then the queen disappear. I am quite careful with the frames and pretty sure I havent accidentally pinched her.

Amu suggestion?
    Zone 8a at 4300ft. Langstroth- foundationless. 6 Hives. AHB region.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen die off

Maybe the queen is still in there that you might over look. Bees are know to do what they want to do.
    So I'm not surprise if they got rid of your queen. If you can put a frame of young larvae and eggs inside
    to see if they make a new queen or not. I though I was extra careful with the frame too. But somehow
    the queen got busted on her side and her shell flipped out from her abdomen. I don't know if it was painful
    for her or not. So I grab her and pinched the protruding shell back to its place. Still has a little bit sticking
    out but better than before 80%. Next time I will be extremely careful around a queen.
    Do the dust storm affect the amount of available pollen and nectar?

Default Re: Queen die off

No, there seems to be enough pollen and nectar (although not a lot of the latter...drought has been rough).
    Zone 8a at 4300ft. Langstroth- foundationless. 6 Hives. AHB region.