Nosema ~ Safe to reuse equipment?

Default Nosema ~ Safe to reuse equipment?

Had a hive that dies that had Nosema. Is it ok to reuse the frames and drawn comb?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Nosema ~ Safe to reuse equipment?

Scrape the worst of it off top bars. Nosema needs a live host so the equipment is fine. Your next colony will benefit from the drawn comb.

Vance- you may have answered a similar question for me in one of my previous threads, but......I have yet another. I too may have had Nosema over the winter(my bees that is), I cleaned out the hive. Scraped everything, sprayed with bleach water and set everything in the sun for 4-5 hours, hoping to kill all signs of any spores. I did have 2 frames that had more bee poop on the frames and drawn comb than any of the others. I was planning on tossing out those 2 just in case they were more contaminated. After reading your response above, do you think that it would be necessary to still throw them out? I am fairly sure that all the bees died about a month or 2 ago and my cleaned hive as been sitting in my garage for a week. Can I assume that the spores have had nothing to survive on over this time? Thanks, juzzer

Zone 8a at 4300ft. Langstroth- foundationless. 6 Hives. AHB region.

Another factor to consider is the season. Assuming drugs are not part of the equation, putting badly n apis infested combs into a hive at the beginning of winter would obviously be a bad plan. Putting them into a strong hive when weather is good would likely not have much noticeable effect, as the bees are able to leave the hive to poop, and the hive will almost certainly throw off the infection.

For myself, I'll reuse combs infected with anything except AFB. Provided the hive is in a position to cope, and clean them up.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker