Wintering Inner Cover from Mann Lake

Question Wintering Inner Cover from Mann Lake

Noob questions
    Link:http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...31.html#WW-241

A. The place holder for a jar feeder. Do I keep it covered or open.
    B. there is a little notch and a hole on the rim. Is this for a top entrance? Do I keep it open, do I screen it?

If you guys have used this product before, I would appreciate some advice on how to best use it.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wintering Inner Cover from Mann Lake

Same thing as a regular nothced inner cover, only deeper to allow insulation and emergency feeding if needed.
    Winter notch down (insulation board on top), summer notch up. Keep the vent hole and the "feeder" hole open year round. Screen vent if robbing occurs.

I keep it notch down year round w/ the insulation on top. I think it helps keep the hive cooler in summer just like the insulation in your roof (maybe not truly cooler but dampens the heating effects of daytime sun). I put a piece of cloth from an old shirt over the feeding jar hole so the bees don't chew the insulation. If I want to jar feed I just remove the cloth and but the jar in.

That hole w/ a cap is to make an upper entrance if you had that side of the board down w/ a candy board for emergency feeding in winter. I wouldn't put this side down in summer has they will fill the whole thing w/ comb and you will have a mess. The only time this side is down is in winter if you have it filled w/ a candy board--or for temporary space when introducing a queen or something. Otherwise it is always up.

Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    I keep it notch down year round w/ the insulation on top. I think it helps keep the hive cooler in summer just like the insulation in your roof (maybe not truly cooler but dampens the heating effects of daytime sun). I put a piece of cloth from an old shirt over the feeding jar hole so the bees don't chew the insulation. If I want to jar feed I just remove the cloth and but the jar in.

That hole w/ a cap is to make an upper entrance if you had that side of the board down w/ a candy board for emergency feeding in winter. I wouldn't put this side down in summer has they will fill the whole thing w/ comb and you will have a mess. The only time this side is down is in winter if you have it filled w/ a candy board--or for temporary space when introducing a queen or something. Otherwise it is always up.
    I know this thread is crazy old, but I very much appreciate your answer as I have been trying to figure out the best way to use it. One question I do have is that, when you place the insulation board in with the channel cut out that leads to the hole, as soon as you place your lid on, it covers the hole... Is this how it's supposed to be? I thought it was an additional entrance and that covering it went against logic. What I did was lift the lid and push it back a bit so it is resting on the frame of the top cover and tilted back - this exposes the top (round) hole. Is it strictly fo ventilation and should be covered by the lid? I don't want to freeze out my bees, but couldn't fathom why I would use a notched foam board that lead to a hole if I was just going to cover it... Thanks!

I did it wrong. Don't let the bees near the insulation. They chew it big time.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by sdemaio View Post
    I know this thread is crazy old, but I very much appreciate your answer as I have been trying to figure out the best way to use it. One question I do have is that, when you place the insulation board in with the channel cut out that leads to the hole, as soon as you place your lid on, it covers the hole... Is this how it's supposed to be? I thought it was an additional entrance and that covering it went against logic. What I did was lift the lid and push it back a bit so it is resting on the frame of the top cover and tilted back - this exposes the top (round) hole. Is it strictly fo ventilation and should be covered by the lid? I don't want to freeze out my bees, but couldn't fathom why I would use a notched foam board that lead to a hole if I was just going to cover it... Thanks!
    What I do is make sure I slide my top cover forward so the back butts up against the inner cover. This usually leaves a 0.25-0.5 inch gap between the top and inner cover at the front. I also make sure the insulation is slid all the way back inside the inner cover. This usually leaves a small gap at the front for any additional moisture to escape. Not sure it makes a difference though as the bees propilize the cloth anyway. I would NOT use that top hole as an additional entrance as the bees will destroy the insulation. I leave the yellow plug in place and have a piece of cloth over the round hole in the center so the bees do not access. Think an additional entrance was the thought behind the channeled design but doesn't work w/ a Styrofoam insulating board. Some of my covers actually have a hard board as an insulation insert--works fine w/ that--but I don't see the point in making two top entrances for the bees to defend.

I use these with an additional 3 inches added to the top. I also drilled vent holes on the front and back to make a vivaldi board type box. The vent holes are screened. I use the bottom as the top entrance and did not purchase the insulation piece. The round hole is open and over that is placed a square screened feeding shim. So the bees are fed sugar bricks and winter patties around the hole in the middle. Over that is burlap for moisture. If you look at a vivaldi board with the shim in place you get a sense of what I’m doing. I like these wintering covers but don’t think they are deep enough. I do use 2 inches of rigid foam insulation under and over the cover. Finally I put white coroplast over the top as a protective awning. This gives me an additional few inches on all sides for rain and snow relief. A concrete block is on top to secure it and its ratcheted down for wind.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.