propolis pricing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: propolis pricing

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    lead appears to be a problem in propolis.
    deknow
    old thread, but where does this so called lead in the propolis supposedly come from?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Maybe from lead paint? That's just a guess and the hives/paint would have to be really old as lead has been banned from paint for a long time.
    If you’re not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-tolerant bees, then you’re part of the problem– Randy Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Maybe from lead paint? That's just a guess and the hives/paint would have to be really old as lead has been banned from paint for a long time.
    That was my thought when I first heard about lead in the propolis years ago. It has to be coming from a lead source in paint, or some other wood preservative or perhaps pesticide. Bees don't make lead.

I think I first read about them finding lead in it in the early 90's in europe. The story has persisted since then. So my guess is the source for the lead was from the paint on hives. I'd like to see an updated US analysis, since we removed lead from our gas, paint, and other products decades ago now.

I'd be leary about getting propolis, or any bee products for that matter, from countries with lax enviornmental laws.

dump

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12