Wanted to share some of my ironwork - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wanted to share some of my ironwork

Here are a few more photos.
    Over the years I've tried to make leaves and just failed at it. Not sure why because they are very simple.
    Recently I purchased a new custom hammer and thought I'd try again. Voila!
    The second shot is of some of the first leaves I made into key fobs.

Mtforge, I'm interested in that kind of beeswax finish.
    Do you heat it with a double boiler and mix it with turpentine, linseed oil and japan dryer?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I think your leaves look great. When I started to make leaves it took me four years to come up with how I like to make them. Now I do them for school day demonstrations and when there is a group of kids around at the shows. I have a spiel that goes along with it to teach them about blacksmithing.

I haven't tried to make a beeswax finish as I haven't had a reliable source of beeswax. I had a local beekeeper set up to supply me but when I wanted some he had changed his mind and his wife was going to make candles with it. The finish I currently use is to dip the hot metal in vegetable oil to season it. This works great for cooking utensils and such but I wanted to make a nicer finish for the nicer ($$$) items. I blacksmith full time and can't make a process if I can't repaeat it for the website, catalog and wholesale accounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My favorite is the bottle openers. Reminds me of beer!
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

Mtforge, that leaf is nice!
    Do you have a gas forge? For a nice finish I coat a piece in vegetable oil and then with a pair of dedicated tongs, I pass it through the hot gasser a few times till it smokes.
    I'll repeat that process a couple of times and the finish is consistent.

Thanks. I have two gas forges and a coal forge. Plus my traveling forge which uses a bellows.

I have a tank of vegetable oil in the shop and a bucket of it at the shows. While the item is hot I dip it in the oil and then wipe it off.

Allen at Furnace Creek Forge, eh? NOW I think I know who you are! I'm a noobie member of the Appalachian Blacksmiths Association, but not active with them.

Sheesh, you put me to shame, but inspire me to finish building the forge. Anvil is a 160 lb American Wrought Iron Anvil Co, circa 1900.

The fanciest thing I've ever made with my setup is a leaf. The most practical thing is this quick and dirty scale hook for weighing hives (below)

LeverScale004Crop.jpg

Allen;
    This is awesome stuff. I love it! Great to see someone doing this kind of craft. I can think of several things I would have you make, if you were closer to Missouri. Great job.
    No one famous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12