Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Beeswax prices?

81K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  The Honey Householder 
#1 ·
Hi! I just bought two pounds of triple filtered pure beeswax, which smells amazing and has a nice golden color as well. I paid $12 plus shipping.

Before I make a larger purchase of bars (to make candles etc) I wanted to figure out what the average prices are so I know I'm not overpaying. I know beeswax is more expensive than other types of wax (with good reason).

Thanks!

Natasha

#4 · (Edited)
An experienced local candle maker would not pay me $6 lb this year for 100lbs. of solar melted honey, she can get filtered blocks from a commercial beekeeper for $5 lb. I did make a sale for $6 to another candle maker.

Correction: Above I mean solar melted cappings/beeswax. Getting senile is tough.

Now I had to correct my correction.

#7 ·
I've seen $10/lb either at Michael's or A.C. Moore (can't remember which). Sometimes Michael's has 50% off coupons, which is when I tend to buy "luxury" items. I don't think their wax is as good as Mountain Rose, which runs about $12.50/lb. Locally we pay around $1/oz for the good stuff.

#10 ·
Ew - you're probably right. I never got around to buying the Michaels wax, it just didn't feel or smell right. Hope Mountain Rose's beeswax is good, I still have 3/4 of a pound left.

Is it worth trying filtering wax for sale or just sell it unfiltered in blocks?

#11 ·
Does anyone know a source for regular yellow or white bees wax with a natural fragrance? I received an order and it was almost dark brown. I have never seen this before butI can not use it as it is too dark. I am out of my wax and I use it for candles, but I am getting concerned about contaminated wax. I would like to purchase the wax from a beekeeper so I know the source and I can inquire about any chemicals used in the hives. Some of the wax is coming from around the world and then retailed to the US market. Also does anyone know anything about dark brown wax such as I received. I never saw it before, and the seller is not cooperative.

#14 ·
I have some wax from this years honey harvest melted down and it is around 40-50 lbs , I already have candles made from last years harvest and I am thinking of selling some of my wax , is $10-$12 / pound too high ? I don't have it filtered a lot and I can always do that , if it makes the price better.

What do you all think ?

#24 ·
How much wax could one expect to get from say, 1x8frame med super?

I get about 2lbs. from a ten frame deep box of brood comb.

Cappings? About 2% the weight of the honey.

Crush and strain?
No data here.

#21 ·
There must be more of a wax market where you folks live. I advertise $6. a pound solar melter wax on Craigslist for months at a time and only occasionally get a taker. One woman buys from another guy for $5. And Mann Lake will only pay me what? $2.25?

#25 ·
I make beeswax candles, soaps, and creams. I have a local beekeeper that I work with and he charges $2.50 a LB. (yes I know its cheap). Its solar melted and has some smalls impurities. I have to re-melt it and filter it before I use it.

I have another supplier in Washington State that charges me 5.50 a lb which includes shipping to Illinois. I see the prices on ebay an laugh. There is no way I would be wax for $10+ a pound. I would have to charge $40.00 for my candles!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.