Does "Large Cell" Beekeeping work? - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Default Re: Does "Large Cell" Beekeeping work?

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I think it's safe to say that if there discernable advantages to either that many operations would have gone all in pretty quickly.
    Only if the advantages equated to money in a short period of time. Any other advantage say for the planet or the bees would be of no concern.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

If the goal is profitable, continual beekeeping then the success rate in $$$ with Large Cell would absolutely crush small cell so exponentially you couldn't see the "slice" color on a pie chart. If your goal is to enjoy a hobby in the back yard then yes large cell success would still crush small cell so much I seriously doubt you could see the color slice on a pie chart of total hobby beekeepers. Of course it impacts mite populations just due to the breeding habits of the mites indicates it would. As part of a total TF goaled program it may have valid applications. The issue is perspective as to how much value and that is clear by the beekeepers who vote for equipment with their $$$. Clearly millions of beekeepers think the advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages. Saving the planet, does anyone believe small cell is saving the planet??? Does anything made of plastic help save the planet?

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Only if the advantages equated to money in a short period of time. Any other advantage say for the planet or the bees would be of no concern.
    What kind of "advantage for the bees" is one that would not be embraced by most commercial beekeepers?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    What kind of "advantage for the bees" is one that would not be embraced by most commercial beekeepers?
    The time and cost it would take to get bees to produce without the use of chemicals.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

"Without the use of chemicals" Ace???

All the bees would be DEAD without the chemicals C6H12O6, O2, H2O, N2, etc!

... us too ...
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Look guys, small cell works, i have some in my brood chambers. Large cell works, the commercial near me uses it exclusively as do I in (when i have it) as starter strips and in honey supers. Natural cell works, it is the most prevalent in all my hives. It all works Does it control this, does it stop that, smaller bees, larger bees, honey yields... Our seasons must be slowing down if we're rehashing this one so early in the year, I always count on the first killing frost of the year for beesource to really start hopping
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213