Bear fence on trailer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bear fence on trailer?

I would like to set up 2-3 small trailers with hives "permanently" mounted on each for moving around my area at different times and then being able to bring them back to one location for winter. I do not want to load/unload the trailers and set up fencing at each location. What type of fence is enough to keep the bears out that I can set up on the trailer? Would regular "hog panels" work (2X4" spacing), or does the fence NEED to be electrified? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bear fence on trailer?

The fence needs to be electrified. I believe that if you mount them correctly the hog panels can be electrified. I would look for an energizer that puts out as much of a whallop as you can afford. I have a Parmak 12V Solar that is getting 7.5KW readings on the fence. I'd like to go better than that, and I'll most probably move the Parmak to something else (like my garden).

If it is trailer mounted you will either have to drive ground rods or lay down a ground mat or if it all must be ready to roll on the trailer, alternating live and ground wires.

Is it a bad idea to suggest labeling them as electrified?
    I can't picture hog pannels wired hot looking like a danger.
    People are suppose to mind thier own business but you don't want to hurt someone.

By all mean put up warning signs. Maybe someone will teach bears to read and they'll leave your bees alone. Crofter is correct re: grounding.

I played with the idea of putting chain link fencing around and over a trailer.I would also make it so no one can run off with your equipment!

So the physical barrier isn't enough then, must be powered?

Heard of a keeper that used cow panels(same as a hog panel but taller), don't know if he powered up the panels but he had solar powered motion activated lights and a portable radio(tied into a light) tuned to a 24 hr. weather sta. and turned up loud Between the lights coming on and the loud human voice he had no critter problems but I don't know how bad his bear problems were. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman43 View Post
    So the physical barrier isn't enough then, must be powered?
    A physical barrier is not sufficient. Feel free to roll the dice...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    A physical barrier is not sufficient.
    Thank you, exactly the kind of direct answer I wanted. Your input is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Feel free to roll the dice...
    It is always my option, or anyone’s, to try and roll the dice or not as long as we have all the facts such as a physical barrier or electric in this case.

My family has some land in Sullivan County, NH that I'd like to see bees on. There are frequent bear sightings and I would hate to have someone set hives there without electric protection. I get there once every couple of years at most so the beekeeper won't be me!

There were some pictures floating around a while ago of cages made up to provide physical protection against bear while doing wild blueberry pollination. I haven't heard how they worked out. Some of the cages were trailer mounted. A determined bear is very strong. You might check with SQKCRK.

I think I recall seeing those photos (looked grainy and taken in low light) of the cages. It is probably cost prohibaitive to try and build a full chain link cage as apposed to the solar chargers (although at ~$175 for a quality charger...).

It should be easy enough to not need a ground mat/rod using either alternating wires as mentioned or using the hog/cow panels as the ground metal and insulators on the hot wires.

I was just over in Sullivan County two weeks ago for work. The leaves were awesome and the day was perfect for cruising some woods!

What about using rebar and having it welded to the trailor costly and heavy I know but if done right wouldn't that hold a bear off.

What about welcome mats? Plywood big enough with drywall screws or nails in it laid out to prevent the bears from walking up to your trailers? At least they are mobile.

Why don't you just use a few open stock trailers or horse trailers. The racks are open enough to let bees fly free but secure enough to keep anything out.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post
    Why don't you just use a few open stock trailers or horse trailers. The racks are open enough to let bees fly free but secure enough to keep anything out.
    I would like the hives to get exposure to the sun

There was a good article in last months Northwoods Sporting Journal about bear problems in the Blueberry fields of Maine. If you can find the article it is worth a read. The one Company said the only effective method they have found to keep bears out of the bees is to live trap and relocate the bears. They employ a few Trappers full time trapping and relocating...

As far as the trailer idea goes I would get portable electric netting and just fence the trailer in and power it with a solar charger. It would take all of 15 minutes to take down and re-set when you moved the trailer. It is what I am using now in VT and so far with success, that is with known problem bears in the area.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

One warning I've always heard in setting up electric fencing or even cattle panesl around a yard is to set the hives back 3 feet from the fence as bears can reach through the strands and reach the hives. Have no experience with that happening myself, but I have had a raccoon reach through a wire fence and grab a passing chicken.

Hard to set hives back 3' from the edge of a trailer.

Wayne

My hives are not even a walking space away from my woven electric net.. I have trail cam pics of bears right at the fence... Not a hive touched in two years. (now that I posted that they will be destroyed tonight)
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Hi: I use this setup with success. It's 8'x12" and would easily fit on a matching trailer. I use a charger with standoffs. The kennel I picked up at a yard sale for $50. Your charger setup will be your choice.
    Bluegrass will remember that I tell the bears not to lick the bacon on the "hot" wires.

More bear proofing info:
    http://www.vermontbeekeepers.org/ind...fing-bee-hives
    Zone 4a-b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast