CT/ New England Beeks- when you pulling off supers?

Default CT/ New England Beeks- when you pulling off supers?

If you're in the northeast, when are you planning to pull off your supers? My first super is pretty full, but not entirely capped...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: CT/ New England Beeks- when you pulling off supers?

By the 21st, there really is no nectar flow after that. That will leave you plenty of time to get them ready for winter.

what adam said. You have maybe 2 more weeks of good flow and then it is just the odd aster and clover, so I would say 10 days -2 weeks from now.

Next weekend, then we're going to open feed after that. We'll lay in some pollen patty when we take off.

We're looking at our best harvest yet. Bees really took off in the second half of the year. Even marginal hives I could never get queenright early in the season are full of bees with at least a shallow full. We have 34/34 hive queenright and almost all have at least one full super.

This is our first year and we have one super that is filling but not capped at all yet. I'd says it is half full of nectar or more.

Think they will have it ready in two weeks? Give or take of course

With only one super of honey, would you not want to leave it for the bees to consume through winter?

I pulled 6 weeks ago.. Most of what is left will stay on for the winter.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I'm to your North and I will start pulling tomorrow and hope to be done by the end of the week. Hives started from packages this year that don't have as much stores as I'd like start getting fed tomorrow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Honeybees View Post
    With only one super of honey, would you not want to leave it for the bees to consume through winter?
    Um Yeah. Don't worry about pulling super honey this year. Just let it go. It sounds like you still need to feed.

Started pulling full supers today. Still getting a little goldenrod flow as well as from the asters so I'll go back in a couple weeks for the rest. Hopefully the partially filled supers will have some more weight to them by then. Hoping for some more warm weather to complete the month.

Need to extract some this week and use that drawn comb on the nucs that still need some winter stores in the upper boxes. I don't expect to have to feed much going into the winter except perhaps the nucs.

Wayne

Taken off one week ago. Plenty of goldenrod left, asters, etc. The rest will go to them, will feed after most flowers gone. OMTCW

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    I pulled 6 weeks ago.. Most of what is left will stay on for the winter.
    X2, and lots left on them for winter already.

I'm noticing that the golden rod, aster and knot weed are going by here. I'll extract enough for my families needs (a few gallons) this week sometime, and leave the rest on the hives returning the empty comb to the hives; I'll start feeding and mite treatments as needed;
    something similar to what Wayne and Andrew are doing.
    Paul
    Zone 4a-b

I pulled all of what I wanted for myself at the beginning of August, treated with MAQS around August 17th and have let them build their winter broodnest since then. Just started giving every hive a gallon of Fumigillin. Feeding a couple of weak hives, two weak nucs and a late swarm catch that I doubt will make it. I feel there is about one more week of weak goldenrod flow and I will weigh and feed hives for winter next weekend accordingly.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

I hefted my Vt hives over the weekend and only 2 out of 7 are "light". The rest are stored up.... I like bees that don't need to be fed.
    Any day now we will see a hard frost which will shut down any flow that is still on. Out walking about I am still seeing bees on goldenrod here and there. We have Aster all over, but not really seeing bees on it at all. The Sunflower field is gone by but they are still working our pumpkin patch which still has some blooms. We have a foodplot of clover that we usually mow back every fall, but because of equipment problems it did not get mowed this year.. the bees are still picking the few blossoms over.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.