Goldenrod blooms up north before it blooms in the south? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Goldenrod blooms up north before it blooms in the south?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Bee Daddy View Post
    On the subject of Goldenrod, aren't there many different varieties of Goldenrod and will this not explain some of the blooming difference? Most on this forum talk about how great the fall goldenrod bloom is and how much nectar the bees collect but I get nothing but pollen here - year after year. I asked a local beekeeper and they said it was our variety - whatever that is.
    I've yet to experience the local goldenrod blooming while having bees. My mentor has that there is definitely a honey flow during the bloom cycle. With the rains that we have been getting I'm expecting a good flow...there are lots of plants here and there and they're all very green and yellowing.lightening in the upper branches. Interestingly, most of what I saw today was located in a river bottom where it probably the moistest. I did see a little bit on more upland ground, but mostly in the bottom. I just had some heavy orientation flights taking place the other evening...all three hives at once. I think I'll have a good bee population when it kicks in. We'll see.

Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Bee Daddy View Post
    I'm not surprised. Reverend Langstroth brought God into beekeeping in "The Hive and the Honeybee" very eloquently so to do so is normal and continues the legacy.

On the subject of Goldenrod, aren't there many different varieties of Goldenrod and will this not explain some of the blooming difference?
    I think this is the main reason for regional differences. My Audubon plant guide says there are 125 species of goldenrod in N America. Here (46N) 'goldenrod' has been blooming for several weeks, and is about 10 days head of normal.

Rob

Speaking with several oldtimers they say the earliest goldenrod doesn't do much as far as nectar which is what I am seeing this year. Three days before going to EAS they started to bring in some serious amounts. I threw supers on quite a few hives. Looking forward to inspections and treatments tomorrow and see what they have done in the last week.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Ours has started to bloom over the last week, but no "stinky sock" smell yet. Anyone in WI seeing a flow from Goldenrod yet?

The Goldenrod has been in bloom here in southeast Ohio since the beginning of August which is several weeks early, however the lack of good rains has kept the nectar flow to a minimum, lots of pollen though. I am thankful for whatever the bees can get access to......Bill

I just returned from vacation. I was in Acadia National Park, ME. I was amazed at the amount of goldenrod and and another flower that was purple/lavender. It just lined all the roadways and fields. Of course I had to see if I could find some honeybees on the stuff and lo and behold....

The purple flower you saw may have been New England Aster, we have it here and the honey bees love it. John

Intheswamp: Don't feel too bad about your question--I thought it and just didn't ask it. And I've been gardening North and South for about 60 years. Just not at the same time, so never paid attention to fall blooms being earlier in the North. Thanks for being the "dunce" and enlightening (I bet) a lot of people in the process!

Quote Originally Posted by thenance007 View Post
    Thanks for being the "dunce" and enlightening (I bet) a lot of people in the process!
    <chuckle> I play the part well.

I find the information interesting, here in central Florida my last year notes were that the Golden rod was in full bloom at the end of October and stopped by the end of November. I looked at the lot near me and the Goldenrod is not yet full grown this year.
    I wounder if it is a day length thing? Day length in the North is very different then in the South.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    The purple flower you saw may have been New England Aster, we have it here and the honey bees love it. John
    These flowers were like long spears all along the interstates and roadways mixed in with the goldenrod.

Quote Originally Posted by thenance007 View Post
    Intheswamp: Don't feel too bad about your question--I thought it and just didn't ask it. And I've been gardening North and South for about 60 years. Just not at the same time, so never paid attention to fall blooms being earlier in the North. Thanks for being the "dunce" and enlightening (I bet) a lot of people in the process!
    I was wondering the same thing... I haven't seen any goldenrod around my house, but I have noticed the bees coming in with bulging orange/gold pollen sacks....

Dupilcate
    Last edited by Ledge; 08-18-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Honey View Post
    These flowers were like long spears all along the interstates and roadways mixed in with the goldenrod.
    Lupine probably.

Lupines bloom early summer. New England Aster isn't blooming yet...only Small White Aster, and that just started.

The purple, spikey flower you saw is most likely Purple Loosestrife.

Which was going to be my guess, but I waited until Michael spoke up, since there was no mention of there being any damp soil.
    Mark Berninghausen

A "fact" I heard last year is that Goldenrod is a salt water marsh plant. It has been a long time since we had salt water around here. Great Lakes area. Tony

There are over 150 species of Goldenrod, growing in every imaginable environment. Among them is a "beach" goldenrod, a "bog" goldenrod, and a "coastal" goldenrod, so they apparently are referring to one of the many varieties.

Most plants that flower Bloom by the number of Light Hours.
    Golden Rod has been in bloom here for a week or so. The first variety does not seem to attract bees. The second variety blooms weeks later and this is what the bees work. It is just now showing color.

We have quite a bit of Aster here and within the last week I see a ton of Birdsfoot Trefoil. It's everywhere.

Goldenrod smell showed up in my hives today.

Knotweed still looks a week or so away.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast