NY summer crop?

Thread: NY summer crop?

Default NY summer crop?

Harvested my spring crop July 1st. as of sunday I havent seen much comming in . We were in a drought and as of last week we started to get sum rain.
    anyone getting a summer flow?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: NY summer crop?

They're definitely bringing something in right now (near Binghamton). The rain helped a bunch of random flowers to perk up, not sure what the bees are working though.

All mine are coming back pollen loaded. One hive has a bit of attitude, but they are doing quite well for how dry it's been.

In the week or so before the tornado we had here Thursday, my bees were finding a lot of pollen and a flow was starting.

The storm was in late afternoon, and many of my foragers were lost, (as well as some virgins out on mating flights).
    Even with the reduced forager force, I am seeing a lot of pollen, and they appear to be getting a good deal of nectar as well. Their feed consumption has dropped considerably.

Goldenrod is starting to yield in the North Country. Nectar was shaking out yesterday and Saturday.
    Mark Berninghausen

Goldenrod is starting here as well as purple loosestrife. Checked hives yesterday and had nectar falling out of broodnest frames. Supers added. So far the bees look to be on a path to having all their winter stores in place without me supplementing. Knock on wood!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

White sweet clover is still out for me and being worked (looks like its getting close to finishing though). Goldenrod not really going yet. My hives are not building up well, but each check I do they have more comb and more stores. Its been steady and continues to be that way. My thought is this is a function of the bees, not of the lack or surplus of nectar. Milkweed was out and overlapped with white sweet clover. Now looks like white sweet clover and golden rod should overlap as well.

Dan

I spent a cpl of hours this morning transfering 4 two stroy 5 frame nucs into full size deep supers on a pallet. They are very strong w/ bees and brood. Then I put a shallow super on them and on a number of other hives in my home yd. Some of them had a medium super of honey on them already, not yet capped.

Four hours later I pealed back the cover, sans smoker, and saw loads of bees already up in the shallow sup. I carefully pulled a frame from the middle and found a number of cells w/ nectar showing in them. I could not smell goldenrod, but something is producing nectar.
    Mark Berninghausen

I see bees on goldenrod, burdock, and teasel. Just purchased a few clethra summersweet bushes to see how they might work out.

I checked another yard today and to my suprize one hive has four suppers full. another has three ,the rest one or two boxes. I'm a happy man now!!
    Looks like I will need to extract again to get ready for goldenrod!!!!!!!!