My Ant Proof Hive Stand Actually Works! - Page 20
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Default Re: My Ant Proof Hive Stand Actually Works!

Just thought I would make good on my promise to post instructions on how to make super cheap grease pods...the $3-$4 Home Depo 3 inch PCP end caps were too expensive for us to use as we began to build many more of these ant proof bee hive stands...

Here's the material list for producing super inexpensive ABS grease pods:

3"x10' black ABS [using a cut off wheel/chop saw, we were able to quickly cut the ABS into 2 inch pieces...so that was roughly 60 pieces per 10 ft section of ABS]
    Scrap sheet metal [the thinner the better]
    Self tapping 1/2" pan head screws
    Primer and paint

And we will also try our hand at using bean cans for the grease pods too. Will post some pics of those later...

Trying to make do with odds and ends we have laying around...we call it hill billy style!

Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

1.jpg3.jpg5.jpg4.jpg7.jpg
    Last edited by soarwitheagles; 11-05-2018 at 09:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Total cost of each stand:

$6 Tubing
    $5 Scrap wood
    $4 Scrap metal
    $3 Paint/grease
    $2 Grease pods

Total cost, under $20.

Here's a pic of a finished grease pod!

8.jpg

Happy Belated Halloween everyone!

Love the ingenuity, All!

I have a related question for you all. I'm a beginner, and just bought one of those plastic hive stands like this one: https://harvestlane.com/products/hive-stand

I currently have the feet sitting in shallow aluminum plans filled with vegetable oil, and the pans are filling with dead bees (Which also apparently like the oil). The short story is that the legs of that stand won't allow me to use the upside-down-cap-full-of-grease trick. And I don't have the ability right now to create a new stand from pipe.

If I set out new pans under the legs and filled them with grease, do you see any problems? Yes, the grease wouldn't be upside-down, and some bees will get stuck in that too. Maybe I could tape little plastic overhang to the legs above the pans to keep bees from dropping down into the grease. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks ahead of time for your help!
    B

Since your ability to modify the hive stand you bought, it would be hard to suggest any changes to it. I would not put pans of grease or oil under the hives though.
    You could fill the pans with water until you can make a better stand. I am assuming you are in a warm climate? Water wouldn't work if it just freezes up on you. In my area, Missouri, ants are not a problem for at least a couple of more months. The bottom line to this method is to make a barrier of grease between the ground and the hive that will be out of the weather and sun. Be sure to use high temp auto grease it is a petroleum product and the bees don't like it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
    Since your ability to modify the hive stand you bought, it would be hard to suggest any changes to it. I would not put pans of grease or oil under the hives though.
    You could fill the pans with water until you can make a better stand. I am assuming you are in a warm climate? Water wouldn't work if it just freezes up on you. In my area, Missouri, ants are not a problem for at least a couple of more months. The bottom line to this method is to make a barrier of grease between the ground and the hive that will be out of the weather and sun. Be sure to use high temp auto grease it is a petroleum product and the bees don't like it. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. Yep, I'm in southern California, so Argentine ants are crazy here. After I submitted my first post a few hours ago, I found some stuff online about using Neverwet on the stand legs, or putting metal tape on the legs and using it there. I'll remove the oil pans and give that a try. Maybe after I remove the top feeder, the ants won't care as much anyway. (wishful thinking)

Thanks!

No Argentine ants here yet, thank goodness. I don't know your wood working abilities but if you have the skills and tools you can make a wooden hive stand that you can put up to 4 hives on and make it ant proof in the process for less money. If you do use water in the pans you will have to keep watch on them as the ants will make a raft out of dead ant bodies and get across to the hive. It is a temporary fix.

Quote Originally Posted by barrett_steele View Post
    or putting metal tape on the legs and using it there.
    While it looks like shrews can't climb metal legs, a lot of ants in honey extractor means that they have no problem climbing metal. Test them on teflon coated surface.

Quote Originally Posted by barrett_steele View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Yep, I'm in southern California, so Argentine ants are crazy here. After I submitted my first post a few hours ago, I found some stuff online about using Neverwet on the stand legs, or putting metal tape on the legs and using it there. I'll remove the oil pans and give that a try. Maybe after I remove the top feeder, the ants won't care as much anyway. (wishful thinking)

Thanks!
    neverwet works for a while but I found that something (I suspect lizards) was cleaning it off the under side of my inverted cake pans. I sprayed white grease under the cake pans and it resolved the issue for a while. I have to respray it on occasion.

I made some new ones and smeared axle grease and have not had to reapply.
    keep in mind that rain will splash dirt up under the pan and the ants will be able to cross if the pans are too low to the ground.

looking at the stands you bought, I'd say you can use the cake pans mounted on/between 2x4s or 4x4s laid on top of your stand.

here's my neverwet thread where, in the end, I changed to grease https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...cheap-and-easy
    Started April Fools Day 2017

A cement block with a 6x6 wooden block on top, with a upside down pie pan nailed on top and the underside coated with grease then place your stand on top of that and it will work for you, Check the grease once a month or so for build up debris , Keep us in the loop.

That would do the trick
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920