Where to buy bulk sugar? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where to buy bulk sugar?

Walmart here is 11.46 for 25 pounds, 75 miles down the road Walmart has it for 7.60 for the same 25 pound bag

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Here in Richmond, Wal-Mart pure cane sugar is .32 per pound in 10# bags. I buy 100# at a time for $32.00 Pretty hard to beat.
    sounds great. I got 4 lb bags for 1.39 at Food Lion

Pretty much I consider a good deal 0.25-0.30 per lb and would not buy over that.
    If you read the local grocery store weekly, sooner or later you will nail it - 0.99/4lb bag.
    By now I have so much sugar squirreled away, I need no more.
    It is like a sport for me, the weekly grocery deals.
    Often times I would post the deal on the local beek forum and we'd clean the sugar isle clean.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Our local Walmart and sugar for $0.33 a pound and it's the same for the 4 lb the 10 lb all the 25 lb it's still $0.33 a pound. I get 15 4 lb bags for twenty bucks

You guys are lucky. A google search shows Walmart sugar at $0.35 per pound, but when I put in my location, and hour and a half north of Seattle in Washington State, it jumps to $.048 a pound. Costco was $0.51 for C&H 25 pounds bags yesterday. Problem is, I need a 1000 pounds.
    Fidalgo Island
    Sea level, Puget Sound, USDA 7a-7b

My Walmart has good sugar pricing also, but not quite as good as yours. Ours is around 46 cents a pound. I checked this the other day to be sure.

(But I also have to ask...will the bees eat ALL types of sugar also, or only granulated? Has anyone tested this? Sure granulated is cheaper, but if someone was low on it, I wonder if they could use brown sugar, powdered sugar, or others?)

BUT what I really want to ask is the best time of the year to buy sugar at the cheapest price! This is what we should also be asking! (I've noticed that the cans of Beef Ravioli for example will bounce around during different times in the year between 80 cents a can, and all the way up to $1.34 a can before 2 years ago when Great Value created a 60 cent Beef Ravioli cheap rival.) Now the price is down. But I have noticed some things will have time periods in the year where you can buy it much lower, and there will also be a high end point of the year also for a lot of stuff, not just Beef Ravioli. So I'm pretty sure this could happen with sugar also?

Quote Originally Posted by hagane View Post
    My Walmart has good sugar pricing also, but not quite as good as yours. Ours is around 46 cents a pound. I checked this the other day to be sure.

(But I also have to ask...will the bees eat ALL types of sugar also, or only granulated? Has anyone tested this? Sure granulated is cheaper, but if someone was low on it, I wonder if they could use brown sugar, powdered sugar, or others?)

BUT what I really want to ask is the best time of the year to buy sugar at the cheapest price! This is what we should also be asking! (I've noticed that the cans of Beef Ravioli for example will bounce around during different times in the year between 80 cents a can, and all the way up to $1.34 a can before 2 years ago when Great Value created a 60 cent Beef Ravioli cheap rival.) Now the price is down. But I have noticed some things will have time periods in the year where you can buy it much lower, and there will also be a high end point of the year also for a lot of stuff, not just Beef Ravioli. So I'm pretty sure this could happen with sugar also?
    No, bad for the bees, white beet sugar or cane sugar only
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Walmart is usually the best around here. Right now it's 0.34/lb for both 25 and 10lb bags. Usually the 25lb bags are harder to find or stores only stock a few. I buy a couple hundred pounds for fall winter feedings and sometimes get a few strange looks.

I think last year I payed 0.32/lb.

ToweringOakFarm - Cleveland- Southern East Texas

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    Walmart is usually the best around here. Right now it's 0.34/lb for both 25 and 10lb bags. Usually the 25lb bags are harder to find or stores only stock a few. I buy a couple hundred pounds for fall winter feedings and sometimes get a few strange looks.

I think last year I payed 0.32/lb.
    I wish they would ship sugar. Pick up only here. 7.60 a 25lb bag

Quote Originally Posted by 1954Lincoln View Post
    I don't know what happened... I've been paying 11 and 12 dollars per 25 pounds and trips to sams club would get me 50 lbs for 20 or 21 bucks.

This morning I bought two 25 lb bags for 7.60 each. I noticed that what was previously cane sugar was now just sugar. I am assuming that means beet sugar but if there is no harm in it I'm all aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by westtnbeekeeper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1954Lincoln View Post
    This morning I bought two 25 lb bags for 7.60 each. I noticed that what was previously cane sugar was now just sugar. I am assuming that means beet sugar but if there is no harm in it I'm all aboard!
    That's what it is here all the time. The nice thing is, give them 24 hours notice and they will load it on your truck for you - by the bag or by the pallet. And the bees don't know the difference between cane sugar or beet sugar and neither does their digestive system.

Cash an carry in Burlington is my go to for sugar.

Kelley's in Clarkson has prosweet starting at 38 cents a pound. Cheaper if you buy alot. The bees do very well with it.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

I heard that new grocery chain Lidel has 4lb bags for .89
    but I wouldn't step foot in there myself, gunfree zone
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

If you have an Aldi's near you they have good prices year round on their 4lb sugar. They just had it on sale the other day for $1.25/4lb bag and they put it on sale for .99 every once in a while.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12