Strong early honey in Upstate New York - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Strong early honey in Upstate New York

Quote Originally Posted by Dan. NY View Post
    What is being worked around you all? Whats next??
    if we don't get some moisture, pulling the honey supers and feeding. helped a friend go through hives yesterday, went through over a hundred and pulled out 15 med frames of caped honey.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

Pulled supers and individual frames from 5 hives last Friday. Three hives were overwintered... and deep frames from spring swarms that were severely backfilling the upper deep frames. Had four shallows full and capped, and two deeps full and capped. Ended up with four distinct varieties of honey from 3 yard locations these five hives are among. One is minty/fruity sweet and light yellow; one is strong floral and light yellow (smells like dogbane flowers), one is light yellow and more mild... like clover, catawba and basswood, and the rest is all deep amber, very thick, and verrry cinnamon-ey! Delicious, classic honey flavor, but so thick it wouldn't spin out of the frames even in the 90F heat on Friday night! Time to get the bottling operation ready... is abut 15 gallons total. Best year yet for me, but first year with overwintered hives and better outyard locations. honey pictures to follow later...

Two overwintered colonies have given me approx. 70lbs but one has swarmed so many times it is a shell of its former self (my bad). Four purchased nucs and one split seem to be doing okay but no extra honey yet. We have clover, milkweed, and lots of motherwort on the property.

Placed one purchased nuc a quarter-mile down the road with a neighbor, and took off 35 lbs from it yesterday. It is facing a nice swamp full of Joe Pye Weed about to bloom, so I am hoping it will continue to produce well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan. NY View Post

Anyone else seeing this white sweet clover around still? What is being worked around you all? Whats next??
    Sweet clover is about mid loom here in the Champlain valley. The bees are working White Dutch well, and the farmers are letting it bloom...as well as the alfalfa. Extension now says it's better to allow it to old. Praise Be.
    Loosestrife is starting. Goldenrod and the Asters are right around the corner...saw a goldenrod in bloom on June 28.

Good flow here this year. One of the best Sumac flows I've seen, and the Basswood was huge. I'm seeing a hundred pound average here so far, over the 30 apiaries. Can't wait to see and taste the comb honey from this crop.

Interesting. Bees aren't touching the Dutch down here anymore. Sumac was grand but now gone to seed. Basswood just finished.

Extracted one medium for gifts on a trip to Swans Island, Maine about a week ago and it was sweet and light. Marvelous stuff!

Has anyone identified the source of the thick, dark(almost reddish) honey that came in after Locust and before Basswood? Never seen or tasted that before. What does Milkweed honey taste like?

Crazy Roland(not in Upstate NY)

Just did a second pull last weekend and things went a lot better. Got 2 supers per over-wintered colony of basswood/milkweed/sumac off the June flow. Had to pull a few deep frames of basswood from some splits that plugged their upper deeps. Brand new shiny deep frames, solid white caps top to bottom. I think I may hang them on the wall instead of extracting them. Too pretty.

Where I am, I've got my fingers crossed for a strong knapweed flow. Love my invasives with long tap-roots!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurea

The abundant nectar produced by Centaurea flowers attracts many pollinators. This is another reason for the success of the highly invasive species, but as it holds true for the entire genus it is not decisive. Yet it can be exploited to the farmer's advantage in combination with biological control of these weeds: In particular the Yellow Starthistle (C. solstitialis) as well as Spotted Knapweed (C. maculosa) are major honey plants forbeekeepers. Monofloral honey from these plants is light and slightly tangy, and one of the finest honeys produced in the USA – due to its better availability, it is even fraudulently relabeled and sold as the scarce and expensive Sourwood honey of the Appalachian Mountains
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Hi all

For comparison, up here in the central/lower Saint John river valley where I am, the basswood at lower elevations has been out a week or more (as are the city-planted small-leafed lindens), while on the hills it's just starting to bloom. Sweet white and yellow clover is full throttle, milkweed also full on. Alfalfa and trefoil is looking showy,while the sumac is going over. I think my bees got a lot from the sumac last week. A few goldenrods are coming out.

Sunny and hot for at least 5 more days by the look of it, good flying weather.

Rob

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

Helped my Uncle harvest 1 medium and 3 shallows off his overwintered colony near Waterloo, NY yesterday. This colony has been just amazing for him... 180 lbs last year, and we did 120 lbs from it yesterday. Equally amazing is the fact that 2 of the 3 shallows, and the entire medium, were new foundation that was all drawn and capped. Guess I need to steal a frame of eggs from this hive to propogate those genetic lines... just amazing! Oh, and the honey looked like a mix of basswood, sumac, and clover. Mostly light and minty... with the deeper colored yellow-amber here and there.

jhirsche, if that colony decides to swarm please direct them 25 miles due west to my yard in Victor. Lord knows I have sent several swarms in your direction this year.

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123