Strong early honey in Upstate New York - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Strong early honey in Upstate New York

I just checked our locusts and not a single bloom. Perhaps I was thrown off and now remember it is an early June bloom instead of July. No locust this year is a real bummer because our whole road is lined by them and provide an amazing amount of forage for area bees. Pity.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

There are such things as microclimates. The trees in my backyard are not in bloom, but a cpl of weeks ago I saw a locust tree in full bloom not 5 miles away from here. I believe the early warm temps this Spring probably advanced the annual life cycle of the trees and then the freezing cold temps caught the trees in a vulnerable state. Most of them anyway. A few came thru alright.

A friend in Wolcott,NY said that this is the first year in his more than 50 years of observation in which he noticed the locust not blooming at all.
    Mark Berninghausen

i live in wolcott and no blooms on the locust at all. may i ask who your freind is in wolcott.

The black locusts in the image I posted did not bloom this year. Consensus is this is the first time in at least roughly 50 years they did not bloom. By the way that picture was taken on April 23rd this year..

I live in an area with many locusts here in Western MA. I figured I must've missed the bloom though I watch blooms pretty closely. Maybe they didn't after all.

the sumac opened here the last couple of days, and three yards have basswood that started opening yesterday afternoon, problem is only about 10% of the trees have the clusters on them. the basswood is about 10 days early.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the info. I have quite a bit of sumac and it should open about now since yours did also.

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

I have three small yards spread around central NY... one in Syracuse, one in Central Square area, and one in Pulaski.

In Syracuse, yellow sweet clover is just about over, white sweet clover is on, sumac has been blooming for over a week, and basswood is opening now. Plenty of blooming catalpa's around too. Seems to be a decent flow going in the last week, as the super is heavy with nectar in most cells, and lots of new white wax on the combs now.

In Central Square, my girls have exploded within the last 10 days on something big... maybe white dutch clover, red clover or white sweet clover, as they have each filled a shallow with 9 frames during that period (one even drew and partially filled a new medium too!) Very floraly aroma... almost water white nectar. they made this same honey four years ago when we moved in... never got another drop in the last two year til now. Neighbors large-leaf American basswood trees (+80' tall!) are loaded with blooms, and promise to open within the week (hope more warm weather comes to make a heavy flow.) Amazing to also see the progress the swarm nucs are making on this flow... drawing out new comb like crazy... and the queens in a laying frenzy.

In Pulaski, its been off to the races for about 2 weeks now... filled and nearly capped a shallow in 7 days since last check. Will have to get pics of that one tomorrow night when I check them... added a deep super with drawn honey foundation to them... hoping they've packed it already! Plenty of sumac, catalpa, and basswood to go up there... first year in this location... and it looks to be my best yet! All colonies there at swarm strength... with no more swarm cells showing. Have offset the boxes, put an empty shallow on the bottom board, and using ventilated covers to give them the room they need to cluster below the brood nest at night.

And the original reason I decided to post... absolutely NO black locust bloom from Syracuse to Central Square this year... I think I saw one tree with a handful of blooms on it, about 3 weeks ago. Very disappointing, but they all look really well folliated - so next year, barring crap weather, it could be awesome!

!!!!! Jealous with a capital J. My girls have drawn out diddly squat in a month. Hopefully I have a strong flow like yours and will see some good new comb and honey. Catalpa?? First I heard mention of this. Not sure I have any or not. Thanks for the info. I will be looking.

didn't mean to shut down this thread... anyone else seeing decent production this spring/summer? Best I've seen them do yet in 5 years....

Rain shut the girls down for a few days but basswood is blooming here as is sumac and they are dragging it in by the bucket load!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Outside of Rochester, no black locust bloom here either. Tasted some honey from another beek that was strong and bitter, was attributed to autumn olive. Our honey seems good with an exceptional color - light and greenish. Bees now hitting the milkweed with a vengeance.

pulled my honey this weekend, last year I pulled 2700 lbs and left on many supers that were almost all capped, this year pulled 600lbs and the supers I left on are not even close to being capped and thats with 15 more hives? all the honey came from the two yards near my house. all the rest are in a valley that is not producing anything. Since the corn is showing water stress I don't see it getting any better unless it starts raining.
    mike syracuse ny

Hey Mike,

Is the basswood flow over in your area?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I don't know what that thorny thing is, but it isn't anything like any Black Locust or Honey Locust I have ever seen. From wikipedia, eh? Can't be wrong.
    it's not that is honey locust lost many lawn mower tires to them think they should all be cut down and burned plant an apple or tilia in it's place.

Daniel
    Maryville, Tn

Quote Originally Posted by papar View Post
    Hey Mike,

Is the basswood flow over in your area?
    not enough trees flowered to get any, a couple of supers smelled minty. The only flow I saw was autumn olive and honey suckle. the honey looks good, taste different, and leaves a nasty after taste. you may be ok in the valley, a few miles from my house in the valley they were in full bloom and at the correct time?
    mike syracuse ny

I'm in central Pa area and the basswoods are done, also the locust did not bloom in my area.Honey this year has a different flavor and it's a little darker.Honey production is down by half,i guess i should not complain it could be worse.

Just did an inspection yesterday. In two weeks, they filled out new comb and filled full of honey in about 6 frames (both sides). In other frames, they filled and capped corners of brood frames. I have little in the way of new brood or new comb for brood. (Honeybound??) They been packing honey in all new comb. It looks to me flow is/was on. Milkweed ended a few days ago for me. I see them working white sweet clover. I got the stuff everywhere and they are on it. It looks to be coming to an end though. Lack of rain seems to be a bad thing these days.

Anyone else seeing this white sweet clover around still? What is being worked around you all? Whats next??

Here is a picture of what the bark of our black locust look like around here. I have never seen a black locust around here that does not have this type bark. My photobucket picture:http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0750.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast