Any Boy Scouters or former Boy Scouts out there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any Boy Scouters or former Boy Scouts out there?

Ok, so i misspelled Scouters in the title!

I was just thinking about the beekeeping merit badge that was discontinued by BSA in 1993. As an eagle scout and a current scout leader, with a new found passion for the honey bee, I want to try to get the BSA to bring back the merit badge. I know that the time is right for a revival.

In doing so, it may be necessary to call upon beeks in other states to show interest. I am currently exploring the steps needed to revive the badge.

Theses are the former requirements from 1993, when it was discontinued:
    M

1. Study a hive of bees. Remove the combs. Find the queen. Figure the amount of the brood, number of queen cells. figure the amount of honey in the hive.
    2. Show the differences among the drones, workers, eggs, larvas, and pupae at different stages. Tell the differences among honey, wax, pollen, and propolis. Tell how bees make honey. Tell where wax comes from. Explain the part played in the life of the hive by the queen, the drones and the workers.
    3. Hive a swarm or divide at least one colony. Explain how a hive is made.
    4. Put foundations in sections or frames. Fill supers with frames or sections. Take off filled frames or sections. Take off filled supers from the hive. Fix the honey for market.
    5. Write in not more than 200 words how and why the honeybee is used in pollinating farm crops. Name five crops in your area pollinated by honeybees.

The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:
    Boy Scout Requirements, 1993-95 Edition

These are the requirement from the handbook from 1911:

1. Have a practical knowledge of swarming, hiving, hives and general apiculture, including a knowledge of the use of artificial combs.
    2. Describe different kinds of honey and tell from what sources gathered.

The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:
    Boy Scout Handbook, 1911 Edition

I only wish I had been given the opportunity when I was a scout in the lat 70's and 80's. General knowledge by a younger generation could be a great thing.
    Greg Barnett
    7a

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Any Boy Souters or former Boy Scouts out there?

I wish you well but you should be aware that attempts to restore the badge take place every couple of years. Do some research on the previous attempts and if you can talk to the ring leaders and see what they think are the reasons they fell short, you're effort may be the one that succeeds.

I do wish you well. I never earned this particular merit badge but would be happy to help teach it to a new generation.

- Another Eagle

Thanks for the advice Andrew.
    Greg Barnett
    7a

My kid is a scout and he has done most everything required for this badge, it would be great to get it restored but we tried a few years ago and our efforts were fruitless. Let me know what we can do to help, I would look forward to helping scouts in our troop earn this badge.

Do a search on this forum for Boy Scout Badge. You should find several hits that will help you contact like minded people.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by jrbbees View Post
    Do a search on this forum for Boy Scout Badge. You should find several hits that will help you contact like minded people.
    Yep. I really need to learn to use the search tool.
    Sorry. Just trying to reinvent the wheel, I suppose.
    Greg Barnett
    7a

Im an Eagle Scout. Troop 1 Mendham, the first nationally charted troop in the US.

I think that bee keeping merit badge would be very cool but it brings up the question of how would specific regions deal with getting colonies to work with.

I think that it would defined be a interesting badge...kinda goes hand in hand with insect study

Have been a long time scouter and now Beek. I have held back because getting them reasonable equipment is expensive. Get a few of them stung and I am concerned the interest would wane quickly.

Life Scout, Troop 154 in Michigan. Never made it to Eagle cause other thinks in life got in the way. Wish I would have!

Don't remember the Beekeeping merit badge but it musta still been there cause i was in Scouts til like 1988...

They Should bring it back!

Good luck with that -- our local Council built a Taj Mahal of an office and closed their camps, so I don't think their highly paid executives would have any interest in anything that might smack of the grubby multitudes or actual activities that might result in damage to their manicures.

Peter

In today's society with its multitude of wrongful death and injury law suits, I think that the first course of action is to convince the BSoA that a Beekeeping Merit Badge is not a thinly veiled death wish. Until we overcome this prejudice, efforts to restore the Beekeeping Merit Badge is futile.

It seems psfed and I have a similar opinion of the American character. Too many Americans today would not get out of their easy chairs to kill a rattle shake if it was ready to strike. psfred's words helps to prove my opinion on this matter.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Unfortunately, I agree. Have been a Scoutmaster for many years, my feeling is that the likelihood of reintroduction of a merit badge that "exposes the BSA to liability" is remote. The program is being driven by avoidance of risk. As stated above the Scout Executive is most interested in raising money. (Of course there is importance to that)

There was a nation wide attempt by beekeepers & boy scouts to get it reinstated last year.
    BSOA decided to make it a part of the insect merit badge instead.

Search some of the old threads it was a large well run campaign, but it failed. Was in the beekeeping magazines also. I think there is a section on the forum dedicated to it.
    Dan

troop 66,but not eagle,good luck,let us know if you get anywhere,i would help,my youngest is in weeblos now

The national Scout organization took a serious look at it last year after all the attention.

The final decision was no badge.

But they did decide to include important emphasis in the emtomology badge and ad details of importance and effect of honeybees in many other merit badges where pertinent.

So a scout can do beekeeping and meet some requirements for other badges.
    But they need advisors.

Goodluck
    Push, Pull, or get Out of the Way

Troop 17, Menomonee Falls, Wis.
    Eagle scout, attained beekeeping merit badge, 5th gen commercial beekeeper.
    I contacted the local council last year, and they declined reinstatement of the badge.

Crazy Roland

Default Re: Any Boy Scouters or former Boy Scouts out there?

Eagle scout never saw the beekeeping badge when i was going through... Many merit badges have risks which are addressed in the requirements I mean who didn't hit the rifle range at summer camp and knock that one out. If this were put to the boyscouts by a well organized group of bee keepers and a group who donates to bee keeping and possibly the boy scouts with some good PR maybe someone like Haagen Daz i think this wuld go further than it did last year.

Daniel
    Maryville, Tn

I am actively running a Boy Scout bee keeping project in NC with Troop 107 Greensboro.

I have also just got back from the printers my own rewrite of the 1983 Beekeeping Merit Badge booklet. It took about 6 months to do as it needed a 90% redo and is based on the original, but fully up to date.
    Happy to share a copy for cost to anyone wanting to do a project.

Rick
    ASM troop 107
    Old North State Council

Www.scoutbee107.blogspot.com
    For details onthe project

Can individual councils or troops re-instate the badge for their own council/troop? -james

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    Can individual councils or troops re-instate the badge for their own council/troop? -james
    No - merit badges and advancement issues are controlled by National.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast