How do you react to a sting
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How do you react to a sting

This is my third year with bees. They don't mess with me much. I go down and watch them every day sit right by the entrance and watch them land. They leave me alone. Even when I get in the hive they rarely bounce my veil. I've been stung twice in three years.

Yesterday I was looking for a nice frame of brood to give to a package I installed last week. They did not like me in the brood deeps. I went back down to change the entrance reducer and they were all over me. Took one sting under my arm inside of bicep. Barely hurt at all, today I have an itchy red hot patch all around the sting the size of a softball. It's only slightly raised. Does this mean I am allergic? There was very little pain. Last year I got one on the back of the hand that didn't hurt either and I don't remember it swelling much or itching.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How do you react to a sting

You may be mildly allergic to that sting.
    I've never had a reaction to bee stings......until last month...I took a sting to the head, and within 2 hours I was covered in hives and beet red. My breathing was never affected. My wife gave me some prednezsone (sp) and we went to the hospital where they gave me benedryl, more pred, and some other over the counter heartburn med that has antihisamine in it. All through IV. I haven't been stung since but am kind of looking forward to it to see if I react again. I think because my seasonal allergies were in high gear plus I was stung a few days before that my immune system was on overload, we'll see. I always cary epipens, liquid benedryl in my bee box.

So I would ask your family doctor and he/she will get you a script for epi-pens as well. The doc told me the benedryl is the key though.

You may react differently in various parts of your body. It also depends on how much venom made it into your skin. What people don't think off that there is a primary and a secondary reaction. The primary is the first thing you see when you get stung and covers the first 3 hours. The secondary happens hours later and it can stay for days. The secondary reaction can be from a mild itch to a massive red mark looking like a dinner plate and burning or itching badly. This still does not mean that you are allergic. My husband got stung several times last year. He had a sting on the belly that looked like a dinner plate. Later that year he got stung in the calf and nothing happened. This year he got stung into the thigh and only a 2 inch red spot happened. I would not be to concerned about being allergic, unless you have other signs like tingling in the lips, shortness of breath, or drop in blood pressure. Any of these signs you should never dismiss and see a doctor about asap. I would suggest to see an allergist, if you want to make sure. The only issue is that their test is like getting stung by 5 bees, and it hard to make conclusions from that as to how you will react to more stings. Be careful with epi pens, they are per prescription for a reason. 5% of the population will overreact to adrenalin (the active ingredient in the pen) and can die because of the pen. I'm one of those to cannot take an epi. Never use an epi pen on someone who has heart rythm issues, because there is a very high chance that they will go into cardiac arrest. I would not get an epi pen, if you know that medical help is available within 20 minutes. All ambulances have this medication on board. We have a medic in our bee club and he said in his 30 years of being on an ambulance he only had to use it twice. He said they give oxygen and monitor blood pressure and that seems to do the trick most of the time. He said it is more important to understand what you are looking for then to just give the shot. To many risk factors with the shot.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

Depends on where the sting is. Sometimes just a small welt like a skeeter sting and sometimes alittle more to moderate swelling. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    [email protected]

There is suppose to be a reaction, that is the whole purpose of the venom, but if the reaction becomes systemic (swelling beyond the location of the sting, hives, difficulty breathing) seek medical help immediately.

Got one on the rump last night, had a clothing malfunction, I guess. just a small itchy welt now. It is true what you all say about getting into the hive after dark, I guess I was bear to them

Just took one to the cheek. Normally the bees don't bother me I too can sit next to the hives and watch but this morning they swarmed and before that I lifted up the honey supers to give them a top entrance. Went down to see if they were using it and out of the blue sudden pain on my cheek. Must still be grumpy from the swarming and all this new space to protect. Just some mild irritation and slight swelling (got the stinger out pretty quick).

I usually cuss. Then it swells a little.

I went thru a yard making splits yesterday. I have poor protective gear. When my chintzy alexander veil shifts on my head, I get stung on the back of my neck and head thru the screen or when I seat it wet the cottom top. I don't wear gloves, but i have neuropathy in my hands anyway. Well, not perfect neuropathy. When they find a spot with working nerves it makes me say Goodness Gracious Sakes ALIVE! I quote. I suppose I incidentally got fifty stings yesterday. The underside of my left wrist is a little puffy--it's all a long way from a sucking chest wound and the heart. Allergies to AM is very very rare after all.

I usually do a little dance while scraping the stinger out, then my wife makes fun of me, and my ego gets a little bruised.

How do I react to a sting?

I get stung regularly. Most often just inside one or the other nostril - it burns like heck for 20-30 seconds, and sometimes my eyes water for a little bit and I sneeze a couple of times. Everywhere else it just burns like heck for 20-30 seconds, then goes away, nothing else happens. I get lots of stings on my fingers, ones on the tips frequently form tiny little subcutaneous hematomas (blood blisters).
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Yea, I do not like getting stung.
    So, when I am stung (happens about a dozen times a year) my first reaction is some strong obscenities. After my verbal tirade, the stung area on my body usually turns red and is sore for an hour or two. After that I usually have no more physical or emotional reaction from the sting.

Got stung on the inside of my nose today. Serves me right for checking the bees in the rain. But it didnt react that bad, normally when I get stung on the fingers or arms, they swell up. Lucky for me this didnt.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I react the less to face stings and more to hand stings.

Well swelling is variable, but not bad. I got one particular earlier in the year and had a raised half dollar sized welt that was a bit of a skin allergy in look, but that's as bad as it's been. Often I'll see a small white dot the day after that almost looks like a whitehead at the point of the sting. I've tested and doesn't seem to be and goes away soon itself.

Paper wasps and bee stings hurt a wee bit for a few minutes. The swelling and redness is minimum (nickel size or smaller) and is gone the next day. Stings are not a problem for me. I was only stung on three occassions last year, but one of the times I received 12 stings, still no problem. I'm a natural beekeeper, if only my bees would produce honey.

I normally only have a sharp burn for a few minutes. Sometimes, if I am stung in a muscle,the muscle is sore for a day. Multiple stings (over 25) make me ill and lethargic the next day. That has happened to me twice.

I had a 4 pound swarm drop on my head, took 70+ to the left arm and about 25 to the left hand, a few in my neck and face and 2 on my right arm. I didnt even swell, but it hurt until the next day. I had to throw up twice that night they only hurt for 20-30 seconds and I hope I stay that way. Stings near my eye or on my scalp usually raise a small welt that goes away soon after.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

For me it depends on location as well.

Got stung multiple times in the ankles while removing a second deep and even the stings didnt hurt that much and no swelling or anything at all from them.

Got stung in the belly while catching a swarm, it was a bee that got caught in a bad spot, very little swelling and a little itching for a couple days.

Last year I was stung in the hands and while my left hand burned for a bit and then went away, my right hand burned and swelled up like a catchers mit and stayed that way for a couple days, that sucked.

I have never been stung in the face and take precautions to avoid it by wearing my veil all the time. I also wear gloves all the time now as well, wether they are goat skin or latex.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    I had a 4 pound swarm drop on my head, took 70+ to the left arm and about 25 to the left hand, a few in my neck and face and 2 on my right arm.
    That there is a bad day!! Wow!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast