California is swarming like mad!!

Default California is swarming like mad!!

I put an ad on Craigslist for swarm capture a few weeks ago and am amazed how good it worked, too good!! I have received atleast 4 swarm calls a day on the sunny days!! If I was retired I would have swarms coming out of my ears!! Ive caught a few of them, but ended up letting the rest go, I am almost out of equipment and have more than doubled the amount of hives that I over wintered this year!! The thing I have noticed is the size of the swarms, HUGE!

I do have a new plan of attack though..........I wont be doing anymore trap outs and I wont dig into any cut outs............im purely going to replenish and expand my apiary on swarms!!

Oh ya, I pulled my CL ad this morning and for the first time in a week, my phone was silent, except for my wife and friends calling!! Im telling you, at first I was excited, then I cringed everytime the phone rang and I didnt see a number I recognized!!LMAO Its not a bad thing though and I have made some good friends and educated some people, and have places to put swarm traps next year as well!!

Mann Lake will be getting some more of my money tonight!!......................Jason

PS- You ever get burned out on swarm catching?? I mean, catching the swarm is awesome, but in some cases its been downright nerve racking with people around!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: California is swarming like mad!!

Nice,
    That's why I'm not on anyone's list anymore. Caught 8 already without advertising.
    Dan

BeeGhost, what category did you list your ad in? I have a craiglist ad also for swarms and listed it in the farm and garden section. No replies yet, but swarming hasn't kicked in yet here. John

Good for you! Reminds me to get my stuff prepared for collecting and repost my ads. Won't be swarm season here for another month..but our mild winter left my overwintered hives honeybound and I can guess the same would apply to wild or unmanaged hives. May swarm sooner than later.
    Take a breath and go get some more!

california is a big place with alot of differant weather.
    when given star thistle make honey

Quote Originally Posted by stangardener View Post
    california is a big place with alot of differant weather.
    Is that all you have to say? Wow, great observation. So far things seem to be happening all over the state except maybe extreme northern California, but for your clarification I will say "between Los banos and woodland".
    Coyote Creek Bees

Just reported on Fox News Channel - swarm in unnamed CA location so large the tree branch broke. I wonder if the branch was sturdy...

Yeah,when one of the guys in my guild get a call(he's on a list with 20+ other people) he emails a bunch of us to see if we want to come help. He email out 5 times a day 2 weeks ago when it was sunny. I'm feeling sorry for him for this weekend. It will get back up to 90 this weekend.