Entrance reducer - which side up?

Default Entrance reducer - which side up?

My bee buddy told me the reason dead bees did not get cleared out of my hive this winter is because I had my entrance reducer upside down, and they could not drag the dead bees over the lip. By turning it over the hole would be flush with the bottom board. Yet my bee catalog shows the entrance reducer placed the way I had it, with a lip. Which is it? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Entrance reducer - which side up?

Sounds like you had it in correctly. I believe it's said they go in that way so as not to clog the entrance with the dead.
    Zone 7A - Southern, MA. Elevation 138 ft.
    4 hives: 1 Carniolan/Italian Hybrid, 2 Swarms from that hive and 1 Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Kettle Ridge View Post
    My bee buddy told me the reason dead bees did not get cleared out of my hive this winter is because I had my entrance reducer upside down, and they could not drag the dead bees over the lip. By turning it over the hole would be flush with the bottom board. Yet my bee catalog shows the entrance reducer placed the way I had it, with a lip. Which is it? Thanks.
    I wondered the same thing about the entrance reducer. The Mann Lake Catalog shows it like you used it, but some other photos show it open to the hive bottom.

It goes in both ways and works both ways too. Out of force of habit mine go in with the entrance up. At bee meetings you'll hear passionate discussions about the "correct" way to use them. Just shake your head and use the reducer in the way that makes sense to you.

I use it up in winter, and down in spring/early summer. The idea of keeping it up is that bees still can get out if they have dead bees on the bottom board. They do have die offs in winter and they do not take them out because it is cold. The lip gives them a way out. When they fly it may be better to have it down, because it makes it easier for them to carry the dead out. It is a personal choice, and I hope this explanation helps you.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

There are plenty who use a top entrance and don't seem to have any issues with bees dragging things out. I agree with what has been said of do whichever you please.

Thanks for the responses. I'm getting the sense that some colonies like to keep a tidy hive and others don't so much care, and it doesn't really matter what you do to encourage them. Sort of like my kids and their bedrooms.

I keep it up in winter, down in spring, for the same reason as mentioned above. It seems to work for me.