a question

Thread: a question

Default a question

a beekeeper has 10 hives and makes 10 splits in july. come the first of the following april said beek has 5 of the original hives and 5 of the nucs. the nucs are transfered to the original hive equipment.
    did the beek lose 50 percent of her hives or come thru winter with zero loses?
    when given star thistle make honey

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: a question

Is the glass 1/2 empty or 1/2 full?

1/2 empty = lost 50 percent
    1/2 full = zero losses

Zero losses but with 10 nucs with drawn comb ready for splits again the next season. And since you have 10 hives to start out with that over wintered, you'll be ahead of the game as you are now ready to build 10 more each of hives and nucs. Having the drawn comb from the year before can be a big head start.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

If you had 10 hives and 10 nucs going into winter, but came out of winter with 5 hives and 5 nucs, you've lost 5 hives which need to be replaced, and you've lost revenue from the 5 nucs that you could have sold.

You're in the red.

Anytime you invest in equipment that becomes empty, you've had a loss.

Take the beeinformed.org survey, it will do the math for you. Nucs are colonies and colonies are counted.

I agree with WLC. If you split 10 hives in July you then have 20 hives. If you go into the winter with those twenty hives and come out the other end with 10, how can you say you have zero losses? If the bees are dead, you lost those hives. Granted, as Ray said you may have more frames of drawn out comb.
    If you had ten cows that each gave birth to 2 calves in the spring and during the following winter ten of those calves died, did you lose any stock?
    If you think of it like someone who goes to Vegas with $5000 to gamble and wins $3000 the first night. The second night they lose $6000 and go home. Did they lose $3000 or $6000? Ask the IRS if you can just claim the loss but not the gain.

It is really pretty straightforward. Subtract the number of mated queens you have March 1st from the number of mated queens you had the previous September 30th. That would be your losses.

The survey (which is about as official as it gets at this point) uses October 1 and April 1. But pretty much the same thing.

Sounds about right. I use March 1st because the past 2 years I have grafted queens the first week of February. Resulting in mated queens the first or second week of March.

I agree that it should count as what you go INTO winter with and what you come OUT of winter with. If you split a hive and have an over wintered nuc, is that a hive? If it is, then it counts as it goes into winter. He started with 20 hives and ended with 10. Or he started with 10 and ended with 5.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

Well, think of it this way. You have 10 production colonies. You make 10 nucs and place them on top of the production colonies. You lose half of everything in the winter. How many production colonies do you have in the spring?

PerCentages are for baseball. Production colonies are for beekeepers.

You guys fish? How about golf?

If I hive dies you lost it doesn't matter how many splits you pulled off it!

The OP really strikes at the heart of the whole issue of bee losses. The "doom and gloomers" who like to talk about how many bees are dying would, of course, call these losses. The bottom line to me is are you maintaining your numbers with colonies capable of producing a honey crop this year. We typically see losses from May 1 to March 1 of around 20% but have had ample brood in recent years to increase our hive numbers by about 10% annually. I consider these losses an inconsequential and normal part of beekeeping in which hives die and are normally replenished in the spring, it's not just the beekeepers way it's natures way.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Can someone please tell me why this thread is in TFB?

Sol: No fair that was the question I was going to ask you.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

in response to the original question...
    You put 20 colonies to bed for winter in the fall. In the spring you had ten surviving colonies. 50% loss.
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow