Advantech nuc cover test
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advantech nuc cover test

After reading others tout the virtues of this material for numerous uses I decided to give it a try.

I have nucs that I made from some 3/4" band sawed pine. The boxes glued and stapled together nice and square but the lids warped a bit since I didn't fully dry the wood (only two and a half months stickered in the garage). The resulting gaps causes water to leak into the nuc.

Our local lumber yard has tons of this Advantech material in various thicknesses. 1/2", 3/4", 7/8", 1" and 1 1/8". Lumber guy said it is what almost every contractor uses for subflooring since we get so much rain before they can get a roof on. It has a waxy feel to it, cuts like a dream. I bought one sheet of 3/4" for $24.98 and made replacement lids for all of my nucs. Just because I had it laying around and like the look of a white top on my green nucs I threw a coat of exterior latex stain on them. They fit the nucs snug as can be and are perfectly flat and true. Once I get a case of mason jars I will drill a hole for a hive top feeder in each.

I also put some scrap pieces outside to see how they take the weather without any stain at all. Since it has a "50 year warranty" I doubt I see will see much in the way of degradation in the next year or two.

I liked working with this material so much I am going to build some top covers for my normal hives next! Pics to follow...
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Advantech nuc cover test

I think it's better than real wood for top covers - it stays flat, and it's heavy enough to not blow off even without a brick on top. I have some unpainted supers made out of it when I was in a bind for time and equipment, and although ugly as home made sin they are still like new structurally. Prepare from some push back though in the form of "I've never tried that therefore it won't work."

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    Since it has a "50 year warranty" I doubt I see will see much in the way of degradation in the next year or two.
    I think your test of this product is a great idea. But don't be mislead by the warranty.
    AdvanTech panels are designated as Exposure 1 under U.S. Department of Commerce voluntary product standard PS 2-04 section 4.1.1.2. and therefore are not warranted for exterior uses.

Complete warranty: http://huberwood.com/media/documents...arranty309.pdf
    Huber expects their product to be inside a roofed structure for the "50 years" of the warranty.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

It's been a couple of months... how are your test samples faring?

I have been using some scrap that looks like Advantech and it warps.

I also bought a sheet this sprting and made several tops for both nucs and regular hive tops because I ran out of made up equipment in middle of swarm season. I used a few untreated and after two rain storms I noticed some delamination taking place. I primed and painted them all and they are now holding up fine.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

OSB looks like Advantech, but it isn't. It will swell at he edges and warp easily when wet.
    Advantech has a different glue and a waxy substance applied during manufacture that makes it very water resistant.

I messaged Keith through his Youtube account and he replied that his samples are still out in the weather and holding up very well...so wel that he is using it for some more bee equipment.

Any updates on your advantech lids 3 years later?

I've got migratory-style hive covers made of Advantech, primed and painted. They are starting their second winter and look as good as new. We've had the wettest year I can remember since I started beekeeping in 2002.
    Hobbyist beekeeper since 2002

Been using them for three years, unpainted. They're now grey, but not a warp at all.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    but not a warp at all.
    That's good to hear. I have a lot of plywood migratory style covers that are warping pretty bad. One of my winter projects is to build a stack of new covers using Advantech.
    To everything there is a season....

Make sure tho, that is is Advantech. Some say it is when it is not. If it is the real thing, the name "Advantech" is spray painted on each board.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I have used this product in home construction and it is worth the money. I am considering building hive boxes with it. Think a good coat of paint is a wise idea.

I built some migratory covers out of the composite wood chips LP
    boards. This is their 4th seasons just a bit faded because I did not repaint or
    waterproof them again. No wrap and keeps on going. The LP board is much like
    the advantech just a bit cheaper but with the same purpose as roofing material.
    Last edited by beepro; 11-28-2015 at 04:16 PM.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

The premium osb subfloors of all brands are good materials, however the warranty is based on structural integrity in an interior environment. It will hold well outdoors, especially when painted. But when the moisture finally gets in it, it will go pretty quickly.

I'm thinking about building some hive bodies out of this stuff.....anyone give it a try?

Quote Originally Posted by Swampsquash View Post
    I'm thinking about building some hive bodies out of this stuff.....anyone give it a try?
    I think they would be heavier than I would want. And the edges of the Advantech probably wouldn't hold up as good to a hive tool. But you never know til you try.
    Hobbyist beekeeper since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by homesteader824 View Post
    I think they would be heavier than I would want. And the edges of the Advantech probably wouldn't hold up as good to a hive tool. But you never know til you try.
    Yeah I thought about that...But I think it's a 2lb or 3lb difference for a deep....but I'm not sure. I'd take that for $5 a deep and $3.25 a super. FL is the land of expensive wood lol

I made some hive bodies out of it.
    Some painted, some not.
    After a few years they are in great condition.
    But they are heavy as bricks I won't do it again
    Last edited by Beregondo; 11-29-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beregondo View Post
    I made some hot bodies out of it.
    Some painted, some not.
    After a few years they are in great condition.
    But they are heavy as bricks I won't do it again
    How much heavier then pine would you say they are?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast