Central New York boomers...pondering next moves - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Central New York boomers...pondering next moves

Quote Originally Posted by lakebilly View Post
    Dandelions?? we have small yellow flowers that look like dandelions(coltsfoot?). Elmira is a little south of me.
    We've got both blooming. This is coltsfoot:
    Coltsfoot-web.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have 2 hives. #1 is transitioning to 2-deep 8-frame from overwintered 3-nuc 5-frame. Not a lot of bees, but hive exam today showed some capped worker and drone brood. I stuck a feeder on today to see if they take it.

#2 is very strong 2-deep 8-frame. Bees are much more aggressive. Top box is 52 lbs with capped brood, honey, pollen etc. plus a queen running around looking for someplace to lay eggs. I swapped out a full honey frame for clean foundation frame, so now I have a little spring honey!

Bottom box is 30 lbs with capped brood too. Seems to be adequate honey and pollen.

I have never done a split but it seems like this would be the right conditions for one. Can anyone comment?

Joe

Most of what I have read, is that it will be ok to split when you have 8-10 frames solid with capped brood.(if I am mistaken, I hope someone corrects me). it is way too early to split around here. NORMALLY end of May begining of June. Might be a bit earlier this year. ask a Jedi beek @ your beekeeping group.
    A 4 frame split would be; 2 frames of brood, 2 frames of honey pollen & a queen, or a queen cell or 3 day old or less larvae, lots of nurse bees.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Eight frames of brood and eight frames of honey is perfect to split. Find the queen and give her three or four frames of brood and make the rest up with honey (assuming there's some pollen with the brood). The rest becomes your split, just introduce a mated queen, and you should be good to go. Center the brood in the box and surround with honey. Add a second box to each and feed a little till the flows really start in earnest. You could do what lakebilly suggests also and end up with two splits and the original hive. Good luck and have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12