Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bobcat with forklift mast, or without, vs Hummerbee!!!!!!!!

79K views 147 replies 36 participants last post by  Mtn. Bee 
#1 ·
What's your opinion?
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages?
Likes and Dislikes?
mobility and visibility?
Thanks, Bo.

#2 ·
It all what you are used to and what you can afford. I have used skidsteers with forks only, Bobcats with forklift mast and HummerBees. The one true advantage of a machine with forklift mast is the sideways movement for loading and unloading on semis, however if you buy a skidsteer without you will be just fine and figure out how to compensate for it.

#3 ·
depends on how much you want to spend. a skid steer is low end vs hummerbee upper end. a used skid steer is with forks is 1/4 the cost. I would not put a mast on a skid steer. a skid steer is slower but will get the job done. we have a new holland and like it. It is rated at 1200 # but only weighs 4500 #. remember the loader and trailer takes away what you can haul. everything you buy should pay for itself. start low end and work up later if needed.

#5 ·
All of my experience w/ loaders is w/ Bobcats w/ arms, not a mast. I have been around Bobcats w/ masts. They can more easily load a semi than I can w/ a larger machine, especially when they have a fifth wheel.

Can't say anything about other loaders. Except that they are easier to get into and out of than Bobcats.

#6 ·
1 more thing I have to add is skidsteers DONT come with ag tires and are easily stuck and very frustrating when they become stuck with 2 pallets of bees on the forks. I do like Keith pointed out Swingers. Both Swingers and HummerBees have psuedo ag tires on them and both easily pass thru mud and slop where skidsteers get stuck. They too will eventually become stuck but less easy than skid steers. We have even used a HummerBee to pull out a 33K truck that was stuck.

#47 ·
1 more thing I have to add is skidsteers DONT come with ag tires and are easily stuck.
I run with both Bobcats (skidsteer) and Hummerbees. All of my Bobcats are fitted with 18" wide tires that help "float" on soft ground. With this set up, it's not easy to get stuck and if you do it's likely to get many other machines in the same predicament. While the 18's are not as aggressive as the tires on the other forklifts, they do the job well.

#7 ·
I started on a bobcat with arms.....tough way to go. We run several bobcats now but all with mast, 5th wheel and "floatation" tires. Works very well, don't need side shift and does not tear up your loading yard and as others have said......much cheaper if it is a sound machine. If you are going to be driving bees any distance from the trucks, the swinger/hummer are faster and safer for the bees. Hummer sure is a nice machine.......makes you look more professional :D

edit: visibility is much better on the hummer/swinger but never been a problem for us with the bobcat....all in what you're accustomed to.

#8 ·
Thanks all!!!!!
Are bobcats easier to turn when u have a fifth wheel on them? I've looked everywhere, out of curiosity, but where do u get the fifth wheel from?

#13 ·
Absolutely, I have moved a lot of bees with one almost identical to it. That seems really, really cheap. With so few hours seems like that with the trailer and the attachments should sell for a whole lot more. Bear in mind that equipment isn't titled though trailers are.

#38 ·
nugget... lol lol

I looked into those a couple years ago, notice the nice smooth lawn to load on. These machine are not built for rough use.

P.S. Jimmy, great come back. (nuggets) love this board. :)
I am sold on I need a swinger. But, wifey and checkbook are not so sold yet. So I figured for 5k I could get through this season and then have a toy to play with next year. Kind of thought it was way too cheap to be true. If I have good Almonds I should be able to buy it for next season.

I met Keith and played on his also and it rocks. I want one so bad I can taste it. But, just spent 25k in bee's and boxes going to spend 10 on a truck next month etc so another 35 is not what the wife planned for us this year. I think she wants so see some income come in first. Imagine that.? Who does she think she is.?

Now Harrys rocks but, I think it is a custom job so don't think I can get one off the shelf. But really like the lack of trailer.

#22 ·
I just thought it was kind of interesting especially since I spent a good part of my day yesterday fixing up trailer wiring. Didnt expect it to impress someone who is throughly invested in the "cult of the Swinger" though. ;)

#25 ·
Trevor, If you have not had a chance to jump on a 1K machine try to, they are the smoothest ride in town. There quite, more leg room, more power, more lift, flat out better built, easyer to maintance. Oh, I think $$$ cheaper too. This choice is a no brainer.

#26 ·
Ive never seen one in person ,only in pictures. They just look allot bigger . I just haven't heard of many people going to them. I was just wondering how they stack up against the Hummerbee. I personally use a Bobcat ,Im thinking of changing because of the sand in Fl.

#29 ·
I really didn't want to bee off topic, (Bobcat vs Hummerbee) but since my friend, Keith beat me to it:
If a forklift cannot do at least 60 MPH back to the truck, I have no use for it.
12 MPH, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!!
No thanks to Swinger, Hummerbee or Bobcat from me.
Time is money; I need a real forklift, and NO TRAILER!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Shallotman/TheGrabber.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.