Why is everyone moving to mediums? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Why is everyone moving to mediums?

I'm sticking with deeps for brood and mediums for honey supers. (Much rather look at 16 frames to examine brood) vs the 24 or 30 in the mediums.) This thread is sorta like the 10 frame vs 8 frame thread.

With two deeps for brood, you have interchangeable frames between the top and bottom brood boxes. You have the 8 frame brood area using (if you're using a cap and ladder 2 frame feeder,) that MB advocates. I rarely move deeps around and when I do, I'm picking up an 8 framer with an empty feeder. On the honey supers, again once drawn you can run 8 or 9 frames to reduce the weight. Even if starting over today, I'd still use this setup.
    Just my 2 cents.......

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    thread is sorta like the 10 frame vs 8 frame thread.
    I'm contemplating a move to 14 frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Metropropolis View Post
    I find myself wondering if mediums have a slightly better overwintering ability, as the breaks would facilitate lateral movement.
    Or maybe a poorer overwintering ability, as the breaks may result in a winter cluster being separated from their honey.
    Anyway, I'm old and even had back surgery a few years ago. All the same, I like deeps for brood. I make a point of NOT moving honey filled deeps in one step....but then I didn't do that in the old days either.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

To me, using a single deep as a brood chamber wasn't enough space. If I used a deep and a medium, I had a hard time re-arranging the brood nest in the fall in order to put the honey and the brood in the right place (or equalizing the numbers). Two deeps made inspections alot of work (much heavier, especially when the top brood would be full of honey).

So I looked at mediums. Three mediums would give me the same area (almost) as two deeps. Is it really that big of a deal for me to check 30 frames instead of 20? Not really. Especially since I don't check all the frames anyway. If I was running two deep frames, I'd probably check 8 or so frames (4 top, and 4 bottom, which would require me to move the top box after only seeing 4 frames, to then only check 4 frames). In an all medium set up, I'd probably check 12-15 frames. The time that I lose by checking the extra 4-7 frames is more than made up by the time that I save by not having to look around or figure out how I'm supposed to equalize hive numbers with a medium/deep combo.

But, the downsize is that I have a hard time co-ordinating with other beekeepers (especially commercial operators). For that reason, I've been contemplating moving to double deep brood chambers, with a queen excluder and medium honey supers. Just a thought though.

For those who use all mediums for ease of frame interchangeability, how often do you remove honey frames and place them in a brood nest? For me I like to keep the honey frames and comb free of brood larvae for a cleaner honey product and less damage to the comb from wax moths so I don't really see the benefit--with deep brood frames it costs me less per hive, less equipment to inspect, and if a hive needs an extra frame it will get a brood deep frame with honey from another hive anyhow. For the honey supers I use mediums and some shallows I bought used for really cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I did it for my back. I'm old.
    Finally we get an admission instead of an insult.

I did it for standardization and its benefits when making nucs i add a frame of honey from a honey super so its nice when they are all the same

I'm with xcugat on this. I don't mix honey frames with brood frames, so having different sizes doesn't matter. I run two deep 8-frame for brood and medium supers for honey.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2seed View Post
    We are all getting older,fatter and weaker.
    Now that is a NEGATIVE attitude. We are experienced, seasoned, veterans who are getting SMARTER in knowing just how much we ought to be lifting.

I'm sticking with deeps for brood boxes, in favor of fewer frames to look at when checking brood, and nuc compatibility. But I think I have bought my last shallow super. I want to go UP to mediums, and eliminate the shallows. Which reminds me, I've got 2 used shallows that would make swarm traps.... woohoo, 2 more traps!

Gypsi
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

I do, unlimited broodnest. You never know where they will end up. Small cell wax doesn't get drawn in honey supers. Just doesn't work. It has to be drawn in the broodnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    I do, unlimited broodnest. You never know where they will end up. Small cell wax doesn't get drawn in honey supers. Just doesn't work. It has to be drawn in the broodnest.
    This is in answer to: why is everyone moving to mediums? So a medium broodnest might end up being larger than a deep broodnest?
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Small cell wax doesn't get drawn in honey supers.
    What? You mean that a small cell colony of bees draws differentr sized cells depending on where in the hive the comb is being drawn? I must have misunderstood something.
    Mark Berninghausen

Not everyone.

At the end of the day of working deeps and shallows, I was in pain. I almost always ended up hurt. At the end of a day working all eight frame mediums I'm not hurt. Now back when I was 20 and a construction worker and I bought my feed in 100 pounds bags to get the burlap and unloaded trucks of sheetrock by myself, I didn't know what the big deal was. if you want to believe that the deeps are never full of honey, you can keep that illusion for a while. But while it might often be true it is not always true. I love the interchangeability of having all the same size frames. I love to manage by the box instead of the frame.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#uniformframesize
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

i think everyone should use deeps the reason is this, when a persons gets to the age that they can't pick the boxes up anymore. it makes them look harder to find younger people to help with the bees and get them into our great world of bee keeping.it is fun to get new folks into this.

lots of folks are not
    Iím really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What? You mean that a small cell colony of bees draws differentr sized cells depending on where in the hive the comb is being drawn? I must have misunderstood something.
    Yes they do and yes you did
    Iím really not that serious

I sold all but one of my medium boxes and went with all deeps. I bought alot of mediums when I started, why I dont know now ? The one medium I have I will sell as a small hive next year if all goes well. My hives only get moved on my 2 acres and my goal is just be able to produce a few nucs here and there to defray feeding costs. Lifting isnt a big issue for me, even after back surgery and deeps and frames are more cost efficient per square inch. I would of went all deeps if I started over again , maybe even jumbos then use medium supers.

I am going to switch for a couple of reasons. First is because I make my own boxes and it is a lot cheaper from a 1x8 vs a 1x12. Next is the weight issue and lastly I like the idea of being able to put any frame anywhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12