Colony update here in Pa - Page 36
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Default Re: Colony update here in Pa

Hey Steve ,I have never seen any locust in my immediate area and always figured there wasn't any close buy , but in talking with other people I have come to the conclusion that there is more locust around than I realized and I actually just saw some only a couple miles away the other day so hopefully my bee's are finding some . Took a short look around the property today on the way up to the beeyard and noticed multi flora rose in bloom with bee's on it and also blackberry is blooming , all of this should make some really good wildflower spring honey !!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    Hey Steve ,I have never seen any locust in my immediate area
    I thought you would be loaded with Locust since you are near the river (I grew up just outside Bloomsburg and knew people from Shickshinny). I don't have blackberries, but their cousin the dewberry is blooming as are the multi roses. I think this is going to be a very good year all around and the bees that made it through winter will be very productive.

Time to get this thread going again.

We currently have three colonies still alive and the queens are ramping up.

Did inspection last Sat while the temps were in the 70's.
    The girls are storing a lot of nectar and found all stages of brood.
    Some different pollen was also observed being brought back and it's nice to see that activity again in the bee yard.

Had to reverse some boxes because of all the nectar and the clusters weren't affected by it.
    The bees have been in the top deep supers most of the winter unfortunately.

I bought a Russian queen last August and it is interesting to see how frugal they have been with the honey and emergency sugar stores compared to the italian mutts.

We received 72" of rain in our county last year.
    The Locust crop was a bust because of that.
    August had 20'some inches and I can't remember a year with that much rain.
    Goldenrod didn't do that well either.

Hoping for a warmer, and drier Spring than last year.

Sounds like your ahead of us daffodils just popped out this week there bringing in alot of pollen but havent been in the hives at all yet to see if any nectar is coming in . I had two hives that went through there sugar bricks and im still adding as needed ,last year was really bad up here too with all the rain made the lowest honey production we ever had. No hives lost this winter so hoping for better weather for honey production this year.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536