Statistic pole for walk away splits - Page 2

View Poll Results: How small can an apiary be to insure success with walk away splits?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • one hive

21 61.76%
  • Two to Three hives

9 26.47%
  • More than three hives.

4 11.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Statistic pole for walk away splits

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    My ability to tolerate the loss is effected by owning more than one hive.
    Well that is why I was looking for a statical answer and I am somewhat surprised to get responses that you can't loose the parent hive when you split it in half. Doesn't splitting it in half weaken the hive or lower it's chances? This poll overwhelming favors one hive is all it takes to be successful but there are votes for 3 hives or more. I am wondering if those that voted for the third choice are thinking more statistically where you would be better assured that you would end up with more than you started with. But still the first choice is very popular.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I am looking for back yard apiaries that are small to see how small an apiary can be and still be successful with splits.
    Why? Why are you looking for back yard apiaries that are small to see how small an apiary can be and still be successful with splits?

Why are you doing this w/ a Poll? What can a Poll tell you?

What are you trying to find out? Are you trying to find out how many splits you can make from a single hive of bees? You can make a split w/ one frame of brood and bees. And it will survive and thrive if you handle it correctly.
    Mark Berninghausen

Well if I look at the pole right now 63 percent think that you will be successful with just owning one hive. I just came from a bee meeting where when I mentioned splits a woman jumped down my throat saying splits create inferior queens "they proved that in one of the bee magazines." Believe it or not I bit my tongue and didn't tell her she was full of crap.

Why did I poll? I feel more comfortable analyzing numbers then opinions even if the numbers are derived from opinions.

Are you asking why did I try to limit it to backyard beeks, beekeepers sorry? Because people like yourself with hundreds of hives are not going to do it wrong. I want to know what people like myself would have for a failure rate.
    Brian Cardinal

There is a chance of getting an inferior queen, when bees raise emergency queens on older comb. Its more difficult for the bees to tear the sidewall of the cell, so a larva might not be swimming in royal jelly.
    I've been happy with the ones my bees have raised, & haven't heard other people complain about theirs.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ogborn View Post
    One hive
    One split,made 4th of July weekend.
    They raised their own queen
    They are still alive now. 2/15
    Considering the weather in your state last year, congratulations!! You give me faith.
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

If my 12 remaining hives are still alive and healthy, I want to do a walk away split with each in late June.... (I will also consider the crazy KY weather).

Phil
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    There is a chance of getting an inferior queen, when bees raise emergency queens on older comb. Its more difficult for the bees to tear the sidewall of the cell, so a larva might not be swimming in royal jelly.
    What if you stick in a new comb and do it for them? How about queen cups?
    Brian Cardinal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12