Statistic pole for walk away splits

View Poll Results: How small can an apiary be to insure success with walk away splits?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • one hive

21 61.76%
  • Two to Three hives

9 26.47%
  • More than three hives.

4 11.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Statistic pole for walk away splits

I asked this in another post but I would like to take a poll on this topic.

Minimum number of hives in apiary

Number of splits

Number making it to next year.

I am looking for back yard apiaries that are small to see how small an apiary can be and still be successful with splits.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Statistic pole for walk away splits

depends
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

One hive
    One split,made 4th of July weekend.
    They raised their own queen
    They are still alive now. 2/15

I got my first hives last August, so I haven't split yet, but they were 6 frame, 2 of honey and 4 of brood when I got them in august, and all 5 made it through the winter here, be it a short one, but they all did fine, and one of them was really weak going into winter.
    I'll split when I see the brood chamber is getting too full. I hope to split at least a couple times this year.
    My bees did real well and 4 of the 5 hives are VSH stock, so they were worth the money here. Even the non VSH did well with no treatments other than feeding and honeybhealthy, but then they say it's the hives that arent' new that succumb to disease more often. More time to have introduced the disease into an older hive I suppose.
    I plan to use the Mike Palmer video for splits/nucs as instructions for making a bunch of nucs this year. They say they fill em faster, so I wanna try that and see how successful I can be, as a first year beek. I'm wanting to get 'too many' bees so I can take some up north to my dads place and introduce the VSH genetics there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ogborn View Post
    They are still alive now. 2/15
    I assume with the drought in Texas you didn't harvest any honey.

So far no one has taken the poll. Is this a question no one has data on or even experience?
    Brian Cardinal

Ace, I intend to split in the spring ( my first ).....Bill

See my response to the thread, "If you don't raise your own queens, why not?" I use Walt Wright's nectar management after swarm cells are first produced in the spring and I make a split. It has always been successful up to this point (famous last words) and honey production has gone way up (second set of famous last words).

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I am looking for back yard apiaries that are small to see how small an apiary can be and still be successful with splits.
    Why??
    Mark Berninghausen

It helps to have another hive to pull a frame of eggs from if you need to. Beyond that I don't think it matters. I did a walk away split when I had one hive. One of them didn't make a new queen, so I just combined it back. Wasn't a huge deal.
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I assume with the drought in Texas you didn't harvest any honey.

Yeah, the drought made it a great year to start beekeeping. I didn't harvest on purpose. I had some honey combs collaped. (TBH)

So far no one has taken the poll. Is this a question no one has data on or even experience?
    I thought I voted. Did it not register?

So, to reiterate. I have a TBH that I took a nuc out of July 4th weekend.
    They raised their own queen. Now I have two hives as of Feb. 15th. It's too early to say that they've made it through
    the winter yet. But, they're still alive now.

Oops! I gotta figure out how to use that qouting thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    depends
    Sorry, I don't wear them............

Before I began raising cultured queens I only divided by using walk-away splits. If you start with only one hive, as I did, you soon have two, then four, etc. So, unless you want more control over the queens that head your colonies, walk-away splits are quite satisfactory.

About March 2011, after a record cold spell, I had about ten full-size hives and two nucs surviving. I started raising queens as soon as it warmed up and drones were visible, and, at the same time began making up mating nucs/regular nucs and giving them my cultured queen cells. I raised many queens and nucs, even though our flows were weaker than usual (I needed to start feeding more than usual), and ended the season with almost twenty full-size hives and nearly thirty nucs. A record for me. Many of my hives and nucs have maintained and continued to raise drones, so I've also been able to continue raising a few queens, all Winter long. We've had sporadic Winter rains, providing enough moisture that a Winter honey flow has just begun, so I'm using it to continue making additional increase, hoping to have max populations before the main honey flow arrives, around 15 April.

It can be done with one hive, but it is certainly easier with two or more hives, so that's what I voted for.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Last year, using walkaway splits, I multiplied two hives into seven.

You can't lose both hives in a walk away split any more than you can lose one hive in the same time period under the same conditions.

If the basis to you're question is # of drones for the queen to mate with, number of hives doesn't mater.
    You only need one hive, you're queen doesn't mate with you're drones anyway. She flies farther away to mate, than you're drones do.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ogborn View Post
    I thought I voted. Did it not register?
    Oops, I am a dummy. It is the first time I did a poll so I thought the results were displayed at the top. Forgive me.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    You can't lose both hives in a walk away split any more than you can lose one hive in the same time period under the same conditions.
    Don't underestimate what I can do. I have been pretty successful and killing hives.

Mark, why what?

I have to say I am very surprised at the results of this poll so far. I thought the curve would be the exact opposite.
    Brian Cardinal

In a literal since it only requires one hive to make a split. More hives will not increase the odds of that split being successful. I could have 1000 hives but my split will still be from only one of them. The chance this split or the hive has of being successful is exactly the same as if that one hive was the only one I own. My ability to tolerate the loss is effected by owning more than one hive.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

doing walk away splits is a no brainer. if you have say a 10 frame hive just reduce to a single and feed till they make queen cells. now only thing is weather need to be warm 75 plus and you have drones. now you could make as many as 9 splits.providing they made queen cells. you could just drop 1 frame in each nuc box or cut 1-2 cells to a frame of brood/honey. they will do there own thing.its just nature.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    In a literal since it only requires one hive to make a split. More hives will not increase the odds of that split being successful. I could have 1000 hives but my split will still be from only one of them. The chance this split or the hive has of being successful is exactly the same as if that one hive was the only one I own. My ability to tolerate the loss is effected by owning more than one hive.
    Thank you for typing my reply

Tommyt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast