Instrumental Insemination Equipment - Page 15
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 580
  1. #281
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,861

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Can I also find the luer syringe metal cap and the extension casing on ebay too?
    Where to find the luer cap and the syringe extension casing? Already got the capillary.
    Last edited by beepro; 02-02-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #282
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Albany, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,006

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    IMO, the CO2 bubblers and counters are unnecessary. I run a direct line from the thumb valve on the CO2 tank to the instrument. You may check the initial flow rate in water, but after that it is based on the queens.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

  4. #283

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    No, just a glas jar and some water on the bottom, then CO2 tube under the water surface, so the bubbling can be seen. You learn very quickly how much is needed to keep the queen quiet.
    In my setup about couple bubbles per second.
    IMG_0123.jpg

    Baby food jar, for kids 3 months-6 months of age

  5. #284

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Do you need a small CO2 counter too? I believe it is one bubble per second from reading.
    Pete mentioned to me a guideline of around a bubble per second.

  6. #285
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    UKRAINE
    Posts
    48

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Little boy blue View Post
    Pete mentioned to me a guideline of around a bubble per second.
    It depends on what diameter hose, too early to think about it, You will work, see.

  7. #286

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by teplov View Post
    It depends on what diameter hose, too early to think about it, You will work, see.
    Yes thank you, I thought about the volume/diameter of the tubes and how much gas will be needed, a flow meter would remove all guessing to begin with, and then use skills and observation afterwards.

    On some videos I have watched the Queens breathing getting smaller and her going calm.

    Is it possible to kill the queen with too much gas??

  8. #287
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Albany, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,006

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Little boy blue View Post
    Yes thank you, I thought about the volume/diameter of the tubes and how much gas will be needed, a flow meter would remove all guessing to begin with, and then use skills and observation afterwards.

    On some videos I have watched the Queens breathing getting smaller and her going calm.

    Is it possible to kill the queen with too much gas??
    Don't overthink this... The flow rate isn't very critical, enough to immobilize the queens quickly. I run about 3-4 bubbles per second on a 3/16" line.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

  9. #288

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by JSL View Post
    Don't overthink this... The flow rate isn't very critical, enough to immobilize the queens quickly. I run about 3-4 bubbles per second on a 3/16" line.
    Most queens will probably differ from one to another, at that rate of bubbles, how long does it take on average before you can comfortably begin working on her majesty.

  10. #289
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Albany, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,006

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Little boy blue View Post
    Most queens will probably differ from one to another, at that rate of bubbles, how long does it take on average before you can comfortably begin working on her majesty.
    I want the flow rate high enough that I can begin just as soon as I place the queen in the tube and pick up forceps. It is with 15-20 seconds that she is pretty well motionless. Sometimes just a little less.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

  11. #290

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by JSL View Post
    I want the flow rate high enough that I can begin just as soon as I place the queen in the tube and pick up forceps. It is with 15-20 seconds that she is pretty well motionless. Sometimes just a little less.
    Thanks Joe.

  12. #291
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,861

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Metal needle adapter?

    On you tube vids, I saw the metal needle adapter. Somehow this adapter screw into the
    syringe and then the capillary is place into it. Is such a metal adapter needed?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

  13. #292

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Metal needle adapter?

    On you tube vids, I saw the metal needle adapter. Somehow this adapter screw into the
    syringe and then the capillary is place into it. Is such a metal adapter needed?
    Not sure which adapter you mean.

    Do you mean the end of the metal body of the syringe itself.

    Which maker of syringe?

  14. #293
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,861

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Yes, the threaded adapter to screw into the syringe after the capillary is inserted.
    Somehow this part is the most confusing to me since I've never see where to buy one on the net.
    As to which type of syringe, I saw many on ebay. I believe the one I'm looking at is 10 ul or 1 ml close to it.
    Not sure about the adapter though. Do you use the adapter too and what is its purpose? To hold in the capillary?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

  15. #294

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Yes, the threaded adapter to screw into the syringe after the capillary is inserted.
    Somehow this part is the most confusing to me since I've never see where to buy one on the net.
    As to which type of syringe, I saw many on ebay. I believe the one I'm looking at is 10 ul or 1 ml close to it.
    Not sure about the adapter though. Do you use the adapter too and what is its purpose? To hold in the capillary?
    The idea came from this similar dental type syringe it could be adapted using a plethora of different components but unless you have a lathe and tools it's going to be difficult.

    http://m.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Stee...%257Ciid%253A1

    Remember the syringe inside the purpose made unit has a plastic syringe, I would rather use a glass tube that can be sterilised and at a couple of dollar for a 1.5 meter length glass is cheap if your making your own.

    You can also use a small piece of rubber tube as a reducer like many are doing to fit the sperm needle, this will enable different size OD needles to be used. If you go down the adapter route you either need the same supply of needles or different adapters to suit.

    The only other option is a ready made unit at 150-180 bucks a pop and then buy the throw away syringes which becomes expensive over time.

    If your buying a system I would go for this unit which makes up the Harbo pump and make your own base, it's 0.2ul.

    https://www.coleparmer.com/i/gilmont...l-1-ea/0784000

    Dan.

  16. #295
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    UKRAINE
    Posts
    48

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Yes, the threaded adapter to screw into the syringe after the capillary is inserted.
    Somehow this part is the most confusing to me since I've never see where to buy one on the net.
    As to which type of syringe, I saw many on ebay. I believe the one I'm looking at is 10 ul or 1 ml close to it.
    Not sure about the adapter though. Do you use the adapter too and what is its purpose? To hold in the capillary?
    Could it be, see with 14.40 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t20rN3TLB4A&t=967s and maybe so https://www.wpiinc.com/products/top-...osyringe-pump/ difference 500$/ I chose the first option.

  17. #296

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Little boy blue View Post
    , I would rather use a glass tube that can be sterilised.
    I donīt think that is a good argument to make it more expensive and fragile. Semen is only in capillars, seldom ever need to sterilise the syringe, plus my plastic syringe can easily be sterilised with steam.

    IMG_0117.jpg

    https://www.google.fi/url?sa=i&rct=j...86482057200174

  18. #297

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quite right guys go for whatever version one finds suitable for ones needs and affordability, this is why I gave multiple options for all walks of life and those with deep pockets, I am also here to share ideas and learn not argue, no one has deeper pockets than I.

    Please see my last version of an II, before spring arrives and the real fun begins, I think I now have enough data to at least to give it a go.

    This one will fit in a jacket pocket and yet has all of the attributes of most designs out there today.

    I will however share my 3D print version with everyone when it's drawn out.

    This version has full micro control using Inched Levers in the X & Y planes, and precise slide hand feed for the injection phase using the main glass tube for the inner guide. This inner tube is also large enough to convert it into a larger reservoir for bulk collection. This one I will try using my home made table top syringe.

    Once guided into the correct position the unit is automatically locked in position and cannot be easily disturbed, there is absolutely no play in any of the parameters.

    She has only one silver soldered joint and that is on the lower Inched lever to the main support post, the rest is tap and die work throughout, using brass toggle nuts and bolts all hand turned.

















    image uploader

    Thanks for looking

    Dan.
    Last edited by Little boy blue; 02-06-2017 at 12:20 PM.

  19. #298

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Little boy blue View Post
    precise slide hand feed for the injection phase using the main glass tube for the inner guide
    Looks very fine. I would only add some kind of easy way to move the syringe (and capillar) fast, to make more room for hands to work when collecting semen.

    When starting to collect semen one needs to move the capillar tip a long way, up and towards the operator. Just IMO.


    If I understand the structure right, you have to turn the knobs to make it move and this goes relatively slowly. Of cource if you are making huge numbers this is no big deal, but I usually collect semen just for one queen at a time, so a lot of knob turning...

  20. #299

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Looks very fine. I would only add some kind of easy way to move the syringe (and capillar) fast, to make more room for hands to work when collecting semen.

    When starting to collect semen one needs to move the capillar tip a long way, up and towards the operator. Just IMO.


    If I understand the structure right, you have to turn the knobs to make it move and this goes relatively slowly. Of cource if you are making huge numbers this is no big deal, but I usually collect semen just for one queen at a time, so a lot of knob turning...
    If you see 3rd picture from top previous post of syringe in hand only, this shows the syringe tube removed I one second, needle not shown fitted.

    This is placed in another simple stand for semen collection, and then slid back into main unit when full, no adjusting needed until ready for the final injection procedure.

    This means the unit is not disturbed from its best working position, and if more fine adjustment is needed the queen post can be moved which is only finger tight.

    In the 3D model I will add this to the queen post which can also move in X and Y positions easily.

    The tube within tube is the key to standardising the whole system, never seen before I think, but could be wrong.

  21. #300

    Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Little boy blue View Post
    This is placed in another simple stand for semen collection, and then slid back into main unit when full, no adjusting needed until ready for the final injection procedure.

    This means the unit is not disturbed from its best working position, and if more fine adjustment is needed the queen post can be moved which is only finger tight.
    problem solved

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •