What's the best yet least expensive way to brand your equipment?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What's the best yet least expensive way to brand your equipment?

I have no clue how but I need to start branding. My inventory is running away from me!
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What's the best yet least expensive way to brand your equipment?

Thick wire and a blow torch is cheap, but harder to use and less pretty.
    "...fascists divide themselves into two categories: fascists and antifascists" Ennio Flaiano

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I have no clue how but I need to start branding.
    Why so?
    Mark Berninghausen

Your boxes or your little bees are running away?
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Now thats migratory equipment!

Depending on how much equipment you have to brand, invest in a good propane brander. You'll thank yourself a million times. They are a lifetime investment.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Pick up an antique cattle brand at a flea market. It doesn't have to be anything special, just something identifiable. It will cost you about 20-25 bucks.

I have one that is the initials SB, that is what I brand boxes with.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

And how do you heat it bluegrass?
    Mark Berninghausen

I would guess that Bluegrass heats his brand in a fire. It is a cattle brand.

He is on the right track for cheap and easy. Bend some pieces of steel into a desired shape (Create your own brand), heat it in a bed of coals and brand the equipment. Easy and the cheapest thing possible. Scrap steel is everywhere. Bending it takes only a vise and a ballpeen hammer.

The brand can be attached to stem/handle/shaft in many ways including some good ol screws or pipe clamps. Having it welded would be best though.

I like his idea of getting a brand already made though.

Charlie,

Is your inventory going to pollinate the almonds?

Gypsi
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddox65804 View Post
    I would guess that Bluegrass heats his brand in a fire.
    In Danbury, CT? I bet there are laws against open burning in Danbury, CT. It ain't open country like MO. There could be a county or two in MO as big as all of CT. But, you could be right. I wonder where bluegrass found an antique cattle brand in CT?
    Mark Berninghausen

Do they allow charcoal grills in CT?

Ya got me there Gypsi. Such a lack of imagination on my part.
    Mark Berninghausen

I cannot imagine living in the crowded North East, but in a crowded apartment complex, on a tiny patio, we had a hibachi!

"My inventory is running away from me!"

You are going to need a very high end laser setup with precise control of the power level in order to brand each bee without harming them.
    Let me know how it works out.

we have always used a propane brand but they are pricey now. a number of years ago we started writing the year on the frames with a magic marker so we know which to cull out first. any writing on the inside of the super lasts well also. only costs a dollar and lasts the life of the equip.

Make your own brand by using a socket, (1/2 inch drive) and a large socket, say 7/8 or 1 inch socket. You can make several letters by grinding out a portion of the socket. For instance, a "C" is made by just grinding out a small portion of the socket. You don't need anything to make an "O". To make a "D" heat the socket a little and smash one side with a hammer.To make a "U" grind out a small section, then heat the socket and smash two sides together. Get the idea? A propane torch will heat the socket. Attach an eight inch extension to the socket to hold it. Unless you do a lot, the extension will not get hot. For large production, invest in a propane or electric, branding iron, with the name or ititials you want.

You can also have someone make you a shipping stencil, and use spray paint over the stencil.

I am like beeware10. I mark most of my equip with a majic marker. They last forever on the inside. cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    yet least expensive way to
    Who was it on this board who called me cheap? You could give me a better price on those covers you are going to sell me and I can let you use my brander. It will fit ten letters so you could brand your hives "CHARLIE", "DUFFUS" OR "ANOTHER CHEAP SKATE". Oh sorry, I don't have two "effs".

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    And how do you heat it bluegrass?
    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    In Danbury, CT? I bet there are laws against open burning in Danbury, CT. It ain't open country like MO. There could be a county or two in MO as big as all of CT. But, you could be right. I wonder where bluegrass found an antique cattle brand in CT?
    My original brand I got in KY, but I have found several here in CT at flea Markets. I live in the 5th richest county in the country, no shortage of any type of antique around here.

I heat it with a propane weed burner. I have also used the burner for a Turkey deep fryer, but the weed burner is faster.

Another thought would be a steak branding kit, they are pretty cheap.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

odfrank...coming down a little hard aren't we. Ha Ha. cchoganjr

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast