Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Creamed Honey advice

43K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  radallo 
#1 ·
Made some cinnamon creamed honey about 9 days ago and it seems to be taking a long time setting up. Background: I didn't rapidly cool my honey after reaching 140. Also, I've been keeping it in a garage where the temp. is around 40. Should I just be patient, move the honey to warmer room, or? Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks

#11 ·
I never heat it at all. I just mix in the seed and try to keep it as close to 57 F as I can without working too hard. In Nebraska that usually means putting it on the window sill in the winter... but I have considered setting up a fridge to do it with it more exactly 57 F.

Of course, if you had it 140 F when you added the seed you melted the seed, which was the point of heating in the first place, to melt any crystals that were there.

#14 ·
I bought a wine cooler that I can set at 57 degrees and I've checked it often, it's consistently at 56-57 degrees. It does reset to 54 during our frequent storms where electric gets knocked out momentarily.

I can't get my latest batch to set up going on 3 weeks. This is after a re-start as I figured I began with too warm of honey over 6 weeks ago. It was around 80 degrees when I added the starter (one I used before with sucess). It wouldn't set up in the wine cooler then, and it still isn't setting up with re-start of chilled honey and another 8 oz of starter. It looks beautiful, creamy light and great texture. I'm using 8 oz starter to about 80 oz honey. But won't get solid. I'm bummed.

#15 ·
I just started this yr with making creamed honey for myself. I am on my 3rd batch so take this with a grain of salt. I make it in pint jars. I just fill it about 3/4 of the way with unheated un filterd honey just like I would sell it. Plop in 2-3 Tbs of seed and stir well then top off with raw honey and put it in the crisper drawer of my fridge for a couple of weeks. All 3 batches have set up firm and nice. This is the method a guy our our club has been doing for yrs and he said the key is to stir it good

#18 ·
I took one of my 1/2 pint jars of half set creamed honey and put it in the crisper drawer in the fridge. I make small batches because I'm not selling it very fast and I doubt I ever will. Thanks for the idea, definitely worth trying.
What are you using for seed?

#17 ·
if this was directed at me I don't have enough honey nor room in my crisper to make more than a. Pint or two at a time. Obviously if I were to produce it for sale I would have to come up with a way to mix larger batches FWIW for about 10 min worth of physical time I have almost a gal of "seed " for future batches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.