first skunk trapped - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: first skunk trapped

Man that is cruel. Just shoot the sucker with a rifle in the trap and move on. Next spray down the trap and area with this recipes, if they leaked some of their nastiness.
    http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm

Oxyclean also works well, but never use it on pets.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

it's called a "tuff trap". you can find them online. in my opinion, the most humane way to kill them once trapped and not get sprayed is to put the trap underwater and let them drown.

I've trapped skunks, woodchucks, feral cats, etc. Dry cat food and a bit of bacon grease will attract them very well. Dry cat food doesn't really smell all that much by itself. The bacon grease really helps to attract them. The easiest way to dispatch of unwanted animals is just to throw them in a pond or creek.

I haven't had a skunk spray in a havahart trap yet. Walk up to them slowly with a tarp or sheet of plastic (hold it in front of you just in case). Slowly and carefully put the tarp over the trap and wrap it around. Move like you do with your bees. Throw them on the back of the 4 wheeler or tractor and drive them to the water.

If you use a hav-a-hart or similar trap, you only need to open one end. Once they smell the bait they will circle the trap till they find a way in, if one exists. Put the bait as far back in the trap as possible. Skunks will eat virtually ANYTHING organic, so most anything will work well for bait, from a rotten chicken leg to a pbj sandwich. I usually use an egg. It's one of their preferred foods, and it won't lure in the danged feral cats. You don't need to crack the egg, just set it in whole, they know what it is, and can smell it for some distance. Skunks are the #1 predator of waterfowl nests. The other bait I use is a dead sparrow or starling. As long as they haven't dried completely out, they are very effective.
    As far as shooting them in the trap, that's a sure fire way to wreck an expensive trap. I loaned a couple of traps to a fellow once to catch some skunks, and in spite of my cautioning him to drown them, he shot up my traps to the point one was completely ruined and the other nearly so. When you shoot the skunk, you can not see where the bullet will come out. It will break wires, bend rods and put holes in the bait pan.

How do you throw the trap in the creek without getting sprayed. I drowned some wood chucks in a barrel when we had that problem but I am not about to try that with skunks. I got to say it wasn't easy. They can swim good enough to lift the cage and breath. I had to put skewers in the middle of the cage to keep them down and that even took a second try. They pulled the skewers out under water. Then I had to make longer ones so they couldn't get them out inside the barrel.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Skunks don't just go around spraying everything they see. Throw a tarp over the cage slowly and lift it up. Provided you do things slowly, they won't usually spray.

Skunk skins are $5-6 apiece if you trap them in the late fall or winter, those dozen skunks can pay for some packages in the spring. If you know some trappers the scent glands are worth quite a bit too.

Tim

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345