first skunk trapped
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default first skunk trapped

i've had skunks around for years, but the dogs have kept them far enough away from the house so they haven't been a problem until....

the last couple of weeks i've found wads of sucked dry bees in front of my poor little nuc, (looks like well chewed tobacco cud).

all hives are up on stands at least 18", and none of the other hives were bothered. i guess there's not enough guard bees in this little nuc to discourage mr. skunk.

a friend of mine brought his trap over a few days ago, and i found it with skunk this morning, yeah!

it's a 6" diameter "tuff trap" for skunks. he's wedged in there tight and can't raise his tail to spray, very cool.

my friend says he ordered it online for about 50 bucks, he used dry cat food for bait. you'll see it if you google "tuff trap", sorry i don't know how to attach a link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: first skunk trapped

How do you get the skunk out of the trap without getting hit?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

he's nose first in that long tube. the back door raises up. my understanding is that you raise the door, and as he's wiggling out backwards, you have time to get away, take cover, or take the safety off and aim, before he gets his head out and can see you.

I have a cord tied on my trap that will unhook the latch and then open the door. Always release near a tree line, thats the direction they will run.....well, most of the time. Don't try it in an open field or they will head for your truck everytime! But if your too close to the trees you won't have time to take a shot. And don't forget to consider the wind direction! Please don't ask how I have learned these things....

fortunately for me by buddy gets to do the honors as part of a barter deal we made. it's his first time. can't wait to hear the story......

Here's my answer: Get your 22 rifle, get up wind. Double tap it. Come back in 2 days with gloves, useless clothes, and a shovel. Take the dead skunk to the burn pile on the shovel and burn it. They carry rabies!!!

dr.buzz Guest

Tie a rope to the trap. Toss trap in closest creek. Drink beer. Retrieve trap.

Pole syringe or drown to avoid getting sprayed.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

just heard from my buddy, looks like we trapped a 'possum, not a skunk. just in time for some Christmas dumplins too, yum yum! it was a big un too, and interestingly he was able to turn around in the tube so he was head first coming out, hmmm. thanks shannon for the drowning idea, we'll go that route when it's the real mccoy.

I'd always heard drowning in a running creek is the way to go with skunk. That way, you can harvest the pelt for a real nice cap. -james

Here is the trap for all to smell
    I mean "See"

Trapped and drowned 23 of the nasty things this last spring and early summer. All but one were adults, and all with the trap set in the same place. Since there were definitely not that many living here when I started, it's obvious that they move around a lot. If you must release them alive, make sure you're not transferring your problems to someone else.

Roll the trap down a hill
    He will be to dizzy to spray when you let him out!
    Never tried it but I think it might work. Hehehehe!
    Film, it will make a great YouTube video.
    Say "Hey y'all watch this" just before you release him.

I drowned four wood chucks last spring and it wasn't as easy as you would think. The want to live and they can swim like crazy. You have to make sure the water is deep and the trap will sink or you could get a surprise when you reel the trap back. Maybe this type of trap confines the animal enough so it can't swim, maybe.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I have read that if you must shoot them don't shoot them in the head that will make them spray,it's best to shoot them in the mid area of the body.I have had good luck doing this.

I know it is illegal to relocate them here. Nothing against trapping them but once you have you have to dispose of them. Can't use firearms in the city limits, can't drive them to the country where firearms cannot be used. drowning or gassing them are about the only options and nobody will come get them. Luckily I have a ditch full of water just over my back fence. Just be careful if you relocate them you might get a nasty surprise from fish and game or department of wildlife.

Yep, shoot them in the middle of the back, head and tail goes down at the same time. If you want to shoot them in the head, do it on the second tap. If you shoot the head first you may get a “flopper” sometimes, just an ugly stinky mess. You mean there is not a hole in the trap for a barrel to fit in?
    Let me know if it works, I will send one to my dad for xmas. Some places do not count a pellet rifle as a fire arm, other places do.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

i can't believe that no one has been begging me for my 'possum dumplin recipe, (post #9). good thing though, 'cause it was just a joke. ya'll knew that right?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i can't believe that no one has been begging me for my 'possum dumplin recipe, (post #9). good thing though, 'cause it was just a joke. ya'll knew that right?

Uh, yeah, we sure did! Joke right??

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    Your from Alabama, I didnt see anything wrong with Possum dumplin's!!!LOL

About the trapped skunk thing, I love that tube trap, very simple and cheap to make!! Also, I drown all the skunks I have trapped in a Havahart, no spraying from them and they are done after I am done drinking a full beer! I shot one skunk I trapped...................head shot....................never again........................took some time for my sense of smell to comeback!!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast