Ccd?

Thread: Ccd?

Default Ccd?

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/..._121711017.jpg

Does anyone know what the grey substance is that is on the comb? It appears that it is consuming the comb. This is an area that is just inside the entrance to the deep which is empty except for a few rows of honey near the top bars. The hive has a full super of honey over the deep. This occured over the past two weeks which was mostly cold weather with a few days of 60+degree weather. There were two hives approx 20 feet apart and both appeared strong. Now only one and I have no idea what happened. Both hives were being treated for hive beetles with the traps with small pcs of check-mite inside.

steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ccd?

Looks like mold to me. Mold on comb can be grey to a bluish green. Do not worry about it. Bees clean the moldy combs up nicely. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

Condensation causes mold and mildew. You normally see it first on the top bars. Be sure you vent your top cover.

I would agree....looks like mold to me as well. I sometimes see it on corners of my frames which are opposite my reduced winter entrance and I would guess that it's indicative of poor ventilation and airflow in that area.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"