Jerry Hayes/Monsanto - Page 25
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Default Re: Jerry Hayes/Monsanto

I thought bees/honey already got a subsidy....

At least this database indicates that I have some neighbors who have done rather well with honey/livestock subsidies (Only livestock they have are bees)...

http://farm.ewg.org/
    "If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve."
    - W.T.S.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Farmers that are doing well on subsidies would do better with no subsidies. Like Ryan said, subsidies don't help the farmer. If there were no subsidies there would be less product, and the price would go up. One of the rules of economics, "if you want more of something subsidize it." Subsidies allow lessers to compete, and increase the price we all pay for commodities.

Again, crops, subsidies, it's getting off into other topics. This thread is already built on speculation, so let's not get even farther out there.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Again, crops, subsidies, it's getting off into other topics. This thread is already built on speculation, so let's not get even farther out there.
    although off topic the poster just saved me many days of frustration trying to find conservation land as the govt. agency says its confidential and not for public info. wait until the list I just compiled shows up on their desks
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post

As an interesting note, the Army's MSP technology is the only field ready tool for detecting a possible environmental contaminant, like dsRNA, as it spreads from hive to hive by drifting and robbing. It's a defense technology.
    a post from bee-l from how I read this there is a trial starting in Calif. I wonder if these hives are going to almonds?

http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...L&F=&S=&P=6215

>
    > >Would someone please recommend a good article for a layman on RNAi
    > treatments for our bees?

None currently available. Large scale field testing going on at the moment
    (I treated 100 hives yesterday, 100 more tomorrow).

More info at ScientificBeekeeping
    http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick...se-to-viruses/

--
    Randy Oliver
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Beeologics itself on it's own website says that the large scale trials are already underway.

Remebee™
    Based on RNAi technology, Remebee's active ingredients are dsRNA formulated to silence Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus (IAPV). It is delivered in feed and sustains colony health in the presence of the virus.
    Product Properties:

• Potent protection from Israel Acute Paralysis Virus (IAPV)
    • Potentially applicable to other bee viruses
    • Inherent robustness precludes the possibility of the virus breaking resistance
    • Extreme specificity and no toxicity
    • No residues in honey bees or honey

Product Status:

Beeologics has begun the regulatory approval process for Remebee in conjunction with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) after a period of assessment with the IR4 agency and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The field trials conducted in Florida, Pennsylvania and Israel provided sufficient data that led to the FDA permit of conducting a large scale clinical trial in the United States. These trials are underway with the participation of leading beekeepers across the United States.

http://www.beeologics.com/remebee.asp

Recall that when Monsanto (now the parent company of Beeologics) developed a growth hormone for cows (rBGH) people wanted nothing to do with it. Oakhurst Dairy in Maine decided to advertise their milk as hormone free and Monsanto sued them.

I have to wonder whether Monsanto will treat beekeepers the same way they treated the dairy, and whether the end result will be similar.

http://www.oakhurstdairy.com/about/release.php?nID=1133
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

I suppose this is pretty relevant to the discussion:

"Q&A for RNAi in Varroa press release"
    https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/bee...News.cfm?id=92

There are a number of projects out there, both public and proprietary, that are using applications of dsRNA to eliminate Honeybee pests and pathogens.

I've also followed some of Randy's comments elsewhere.

Honeybees natural molecular immunity involve not only RNAi, but also retrotransposition of 'foreign' RNAs into the 28S rDNA site.

The Honeybee uses 'Natural Transgenesis' to prime it's own natural molecular immune system, RNAi.

By the way, viruses contain ORFs (open reading frames) from which proteins are translated, so they are 'viral genes'. RNAi in Honeybees originally targeted one of the VP proteins (capsid).

dsRNA can also change the phyiology of Honeybees by altering known products like vitellogenin. They produced 'precocious foragers' in one such experiment for example.

So yes, any potential application of dsRNA technology to the Honeybee is relevant.
    Last edited by WLC; 01-04-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    I have to wonder whether Monsanto will treat beekeepers the same way they treated the dairy, and whether the end result will be similar.
    Give me one good reason why they wouldn't.
    We prosecute professional athletes for using steroids but somehow we feel (as a nation) that is OK to feed it to the general public in small quantities. Stupid is as stupid does.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Within the thread, as far as I can see, The World According to Monsanto is referred just as a book. There's a book version of it, but it was originally a documentary film. Reading the book would be very beneficial for sure. Yet, the documentary is a valuable work and those who prefer to watch it online can do so here. (Its a low resolution copy; there might be more online sources; seems that on YouTube there's a -probably better- copy of it; buying as a DVD might be an option for some friends, as well.)

Another book to be read might be The Tragicall History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus which tells us the story of "a man sells his soul to the devil for power and knowledge". No need to try defending or justifying such characters. Doing so weakens "our hive". We need every single word, every bit of energy of us to defend ourselves against the front of Mephistopheles.

It appears that our own U.S. Honeybee researchers have made such a Faustian bargain. I still can't believe that they are about to deliver the Americam Beekeeper into the hands of 'you know who'.

This may have been in the works as early as 2006 as I can now see in hindsight from my own discoveries and the Monsanto announcements.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425