Oxalic Chrystals? Syrup drizzle or Fumed

Default Oxalic Chrystals? Syrup drizzle or Fumed

I have seen reference to the drizzle method only to be used once but that the fuming method can be used repeatedly. What is the reason for this and what are the pros and cons of the different application method?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Oxalic Chrystals? Syrup drizzle or Fumed

Here are 2 links to Randy Oliver's website that discuss oxalic acid. I'm getting ready to order a vaporizer.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/oxal...-1-of-2-parts/

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/oxal...-2-of-2-parts/

"There are two problems associated with OA dribble: (1) it requires opening the colonies for the fall/winter treatment, and (2) there are issues of bee toxicity and depressed broodrearing due to bees ingesting some of the syrup. Both these issues can be circumvented by applying the acid in vapor form."

Thanks; excellent, that is the info I was looking for. I missed that section of the site.

Frank

Drizzling damages their Malpighian tubules (equivalent to your kidneys). Vaporizing does not. Hence the recommendation not to drizzle more than once.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

A couple of my local bee buddies stopped by on Friday to pick up some Nutra bee. They said that there is an extremely high rate of liver cancer in european beekeepers that have been using oxalic. Has any one else heard of this?

Many years ago, I had a whole flock of sheep drop dead up on the side of a mountain. The vet came and did an autopsy and said that all of their livers were full of oxalic acid crystals..... said they must have been grazing on members of the oxalis family. Not that this had anything to do with cancer... but makes me pretty sure that OA is not too good for mammals.... bet breathing formic acid is not particularly healthful either...