Where's a good/cheap place to by feeder caps for migratory covers. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Where's a good/cheap place to by feeder caps for migratory covers.

Quote Originally Posted by beeware10 View Post
    yes they are used to insert into small plastic tubing to keep it from crushing when a nut is tightened. lowes and home depot carry them.
    So you just drill a 1/8 inch hole in the cap and solider the tube onto the cap?
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

no its bigger than 1/8. you drill a 3/16 or 5/16 hole thru the middle of jar cap.I cant remember which. the brass insert has a flange that will be inside the jar. push the insert in the hole and solder. I used a propane torch. heat just enough to melt the solder. too much heat will hurt the seal around the outside. drill one hole thru your cover and double check the hole is clean.(no chips) turn upside and put the jar insert thru the hole. the bees will not plug the hole like they do with the small hole. If it is empty for awhile and they do plug it just push a small twig thru it. when done feeding the bees will plug the hole in the cover or just push a dab of beeswax in it. a little hard to find but I use 1/2 gallon mason jars. lasts good and very easy to check. even though there is one hole they will empty it just as fast as the big jar covers.

Great, thanks for the info. I'll give that a try. I'm always looking for better ways to do things.
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

we have been commercial for nearly 40 yrs and this is the best system we have used. back in the 70's kelley sold a hd plastic bag that held 1 frame. a big rubber ban held it in place then you filled the bag with syrup. we bore big holes in covers and used the covers with holes on 5 lb jars. we have bees in sc and use a rim and baggie to feed these. Its just hard to transport jars that far. the bags get thrown away so all we have to transport are the rims. we started out with entrance feeders and found them worthless. I think you will like this system. good luck

Hey beeware, could you post a pic? Went to Randy Olivers site, and found nothing on feeding tubes. Tried a search on feeding and came up with nothing. Basically your drilling a hole in the bucket/jar lid and soldering on a flange and brass tube, is that correct? Then drilling a hole in your migratory cover and inserting, correct?

Kind regards
    Stonefly7

I m pretty sure it is on randys site but hard to find. sorry but cant do a picture. we will be going to home depot or lowes in a few days and Ill get a part number. you use a mason jar.(large mouth) the brass insert is one piece with a flange on one end. drill hole in cover. insert insert with the flange on the sealed side and solder. the insert is about 3/4 inch long so it just goes thru a migratory cover.

stonefly7 go to randys site and look up fat bees part 3. shows good pictures and worth a thousand words.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    ... going with migratory covers feeding through a 1 3/8" hole. Where do you get the plastic caps to place in the hole when not feeding?
    How about using these covers. I am guessing that they can still be purchased less the junction box at electric supply houses (big box stores need not apply) or from electric contractors. One small screw for it to pivot on and one screw to keep it from pivoting and you're good to go. No looking for the plug either, it iremains screwed down over the hole in the migratory top.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I'm using a 2 gal bucket with holes in the lid, inverting over the 1 3/8 " hole on the top migratory cover. The bees climb through the hole and travel under the lip of the bucket lid to feed. I just place a brick on top of the inverted bucket to keep it from blowing off when the feeder is low.
    OK, so the bucket is sitting directly on top of the migratory cover and all the holes in it's lid are centered over the 1 3/8" hole in the cover?

What type of 2 gal bucket are you using and does it leak around the rim where it might draw ants?

Quote Originally Posted by Risky Beesness View Post
    OK, so the bucket is sitting directly on top of the migratory cover and all the holes in it's lid are centered over the 1 3/8" hole in the cover? What type of 2 gal bucket are you using and does it leak around the rim where it might draw ants?
    The holes are spread all over the bucket lid. The bees come up through the 1 3/8" hole in the top cover. The bucket lid has a rim on it that raises the lid surface up enough to where it enables the bees to crawl under the lid to feed everywhere the holes are.

I'm using white 2 gal. pails bought new at Kelly Moore. They have a good seal that doesn't leak. I haven't yet used this system in spring and summer. I used it for fall and it worked pretty good so they're weren't to many ants around to test it.

Some of the flaws I see is that some of my plywood lids are not exactly flat. The top ply layer on the 3/4" ply is rough or a little wavy so there are gaps between the inverted bucket lid and the ply. I've tried resting the lid cover brick on top, (or bottom) of the bucket and that seems to help a little and also keeps the bucket from blowing off when it's empty.

Other flaws are that the bees plug up the little holes so your constantly sticking a push pin in the holes to clean them out. Syrup does leak out on the lid before the vacuum completely takes hold so you do have a concern about robbing, (or attempted robbing) and ants.

OK, that makes sense now. The lip on the top of the lid creates the crawl space, and in theory, seals out other bees or insects. I have experienced the holes plugging as well. You would think that if they can eat through a candy plug, they can get to the syrup if they want it.

I know. It's just bizarre that they would plug up something that's feeding them. I've already had to throw away one lid it was so plugged up it wasn't worth my time to spend unplugging. I found some 1 gal mason jars on Amazon so I'm going to try the solder thing and see how that works.

I tried to find the flanged 1/8" tubes that Randy Oliver solders into his lids but can't find them. Anybody know what or where I should be looking?
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

They're at Home Depot hanging up in little plastic bags on the wall in the plumbing department. They're sleeves for plastic water lines.

They're at Home Depot hanging up in little plastic bags on the wall in the plumbing department. They're sleeves for plastic water lines.

Thanks Charlie!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

for those who have used the flanged 1/8" tube, do you think a drilled out .22 casing would work?
    when given star thistle make honey

the 22 casings should work. next Im going to buy some small brass tubing and enlarge one end with a flanging tool and then cut off.
    this should be inexpensive.

These are used for air line repairs in trucks also if you're still looking to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by stangardener View Post
    for those who have used the flanged 1/8" tube, do you think a drilled out .22 casing would work?
    That should work if you keep the flange in tact. The flange helps maximize the solder connection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast