Moving Bee Hive

Thread: Moving Bee Hive

Default Moving Bee Hive

I obtained my first hive in April and they are doing great. I placed them in a temporary location until I could get the trees cleared where I wanted to put them permanantly. I now have those trees cleared and am ready to move the hive. I just don't know how to do it. When is the best time to move them? Summer or winter? Day or Night? Right now I just have a deep and medium and a top feeder on the hive. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moving Bee Hive

well the best time to move them is at night the other thing if you move them only a few feet or yards or even a mile the old foragers will return to their old location.it best to move them 5 miles away for a day or so then back to where you want them.good luck

Moving them a couple miles is not an option.

I am thinking of moving my hives to put them further behind the shed (about 10 to 15 feet max). If I move them in the dead of winter when there are no foragers out, is this safe to do? Or will the foragers get lost when they emerge in the spring (or take cleansing flights on warm winter day).
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I just moved my 4 hives about 100ft. I waited for the coldest, rainiest weather. After dark I blocked the entrance with a roll of screen, strapped the hive together, put a dolly under, moved them to the new location. Then I draped a piece of pool, bubble cover over the front of the hive, held by a weight on top and clamped to the landing board at the bottom, then removed the screen blocking the entrance. Next day some bees went back to their old location but at night returned to their new location. Some bees seemed to join the nearest hive to their old location (I moved the first two then waited for several days). When I moved the very last hive I decided to not put the bubble cover diversion on. Hundreds of bees went back to the old location and were huddled in a big pile by evening with temperature around 50F. I vacuumed them up with a bee vac and dumped them into the top of their moved hive. They were so mad they forgot they were cold. I put the bubble drape on and the next day only about 5 bees were at the old location by evening. It seems to be working and they are pretty settled in their new location.

Here is a pic of my effort to confuse the bees into reorienting to the new location so they won't go back to the old location after moving them.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Michael...86642067652306
    They immediately stopped going back when I put this on but the weather's been cold and vacuuming them up and dumping them into the hive at the new location might have convinced them to reorient. I don't know. Maybe on the first sunny warm day they will be going back again. We'll see.

What are those white legs under the bottom board? It looks like you bight put water or oil in it too keep aints out.

Yes, we have those argentine ants. I made these ant moats out of PVC pipe and acrylic plastic bottoms. They work great with a thin layer of oil on top of some water.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Michael...72462012353570

Final note: We had a nice warm sunny day, the rosemary is blooming, the bees were out. A handful of my bees visited the old location but by 3:30 not a single bee was at the old place. I'd say the move was completely successful. So much for 2 feet or 2 miles, at least for hobbyists who can fuss with the move a bit.

hey that's not fair to say that all hobbyists will fuss.I'm glad it worked for you to move them a short distance with out loss of a lot of bees only thing lost was time that the bees had to figure out were their home went.Their is a few hives that i would like to move but never wanted to move because of the loss of foragers especially in the winter with snow .i always keep in old location and plan were i need them now with increases i do walk away splits so i never get to move the original hive only kept there because of the foragers.

I guess I still do not understand. If you move a hive 10 feet in the dead of winter (assume no foragers are out), is there any danger to the bees? Will they still get lost if they emerge a couple of weeks later?
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Moving a hive 10 feet in the winter shouldn't present any problems. Presuming it is cold enough for the bees to not be flying, I think you'll find that old bees emerging from the hive in the spring will easily re-orient, and as for new bees, they won't "know" about any place else. The big concern in moving a hive in winter is upsetting the cluster. I have a friend who is moving in January that has asked me about moving the bees then - I think I will advise her to leave them until warmer weather. I'd be more optimistic about the move in January if I was sure that the hives would be transported gently.

I moved my bees today in the morning because of my neighbor lawn mower.
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-My-Bees/page4

I closed the doors at 6AM, then built the base as it was before and moved hives one-by-one about 25-30 ft away from original location.
    IMG_1406.JPG, IMG_1410.JPG, IMG_1411.JPG, IMG_1412.jpg

Few of the foragers were outside, since some of the bees are sleeping outside of the hive all night long, and now, 3-4 hours later, they are swirling at the old location looking for their hive.

Are there any suggestions what is the next step?

Would have been better to move them about 2' a day. You can place a empty nuc where they are swirling and then in the evening move it over next to your hives. give it a little while and see if they find their way to the new location. if not, you may have to move the hives back close to the old location and slowly move them across the yard.

I've only moved bees between locations more than two miles apart. But if/when I have to move them shorter distancs, I think I would do something like what's described here.

Here is the story at about 5PM:
    I put an empty box with the hole that I made this spring and wanted to attract a swarm (of course unsuccessful) at the old place. The bees are swirling around that box, trying to find their home and/or make that box a home. Whatever will be inside that box, I'll put close to the hives in the morning so they can find their own colony.
    They are currently are pretty aggressive - attacking everything around.

The hives themselves are OK.IMG_1413.JPG , IMG_1414.JPG , IMG_1415.JPG , IMG_1416.JPG , IMG_1417.JPG

Please review my pictures and give me feedback what do you think and any suggestions are appreciated.

I checked and opened doors to my hives this morning at 6AM.
    At one of the hives found 100's of dead bees infant of the hive - it looks those poor creatures got heat exhaustions

I hope this is the most of the problems bees will experience because of this move.

Hello,

I noticed that some bees are rumbling around old place this afternoon.
    Any ideas what can be done to navigate them to the new place?

Move them when the weather is nice so they can sort things out without getting cold or rained on.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF